Anenome for the Clown

lionfish

LionFish says......
Well, I seem to have a little problem on my hands. I have an Ocellaris Clown in my 50 gallon reef and he thinks he is the big bad boss of the tank. He has even resorted to chasing my Black-cap and Swissguard. Now genrally speaking, I don't need a $15 fish beating on my $40 Black-cap Basslet and my $50 Swissguard Basslet. So I think he is getting too territorial so I think I am going to get an Anenome for the little guy. Now I know they will not except all anenomes but I would like to hear others experience with anenomes and Ocellaris Clowns. Now, I have 400 watts of VHO lighting. 3 daylight bulbs and 1 actinic blue. I have kept several Condi anenomes but I was thinking of something alittle more colorful and clownfish compatible. Any info would be appreciated. The fish I have are 1 Ocellaris Clownfish, 1 Black-cap Basslet, 1 Swissguard Basslet, 1 6-line Wrasse, 1 Yellow-head Jawfish, 1 Foxface. I will be upgrading to a 70 gallon by Christmas. If any of the info is relevant I just thought I should add that.

sonny

While anemones are beautiful, I don't feel they should be kept in a regular reef tank. They will move all over your corals, shading them, moving them, and will eventually end up at the top of the tank, as close as possible to the light. I don't think it would solve your problem with a territorial fish either. If anything, it would make him MORE territorial as he would be protecting his anemone. If you must try one though, try a sebae anemone. They are not huge, and easier to keep than some. Ones to stay away from are the ritteri and most carpet anemones.
Sonny

reefkeeper1

I chose a purple tip seabae anenome for my clown and he has loved it. It hasent even moved from the spot i placed it. all it did was back up alittle to wedge into the rock with its foot. My clown is happy and so is my anenome. :cool: