Angel Acting Weird

corey21

I have an ebili eye angel and all of a sudden he started not eating and his belly seems to be puffed up. Is this a bacterial infection??? He is swiming faceing downward to???:notsure:

lefty

Hmm...could be swim bladder. Bloated bellies in fish are most commonly a bacterial infection, dropsy, or swim bladder. If the scales of the fish are sticking out, it's dropsy. If your fish is upside down, having trouble swimming (meaning he's fighting to stay down in the water so as to not float to the top), it's swim bladder. If your fish just has a big stomach, no swimming difficulties, and is refusing to eat, it's an internal bacterial infection. For all of these problems, you should move the fish to a QT, lower the salinity to 1.013 over the course of a few days (this is recommended because it reduces the stress level of the fish), and dose with Maracyn-Two for seven to ten days. Make sure to use double the amount recommended on the package for each day (i.e. for the first day, they say add two tablets. Add four instead. On the second day through the end of the treatment, they say add one. Add two instead). They don't make this medicine strong enough for saltwater fish, hence the doubling of the amount. Also, before each dosing, do a small water change because organics in the water can often build up and reduce the effectiveness of the antibiotic.
If you can't find the Saltwater version of Maracyn-Two, go ahead and use the freshwater version. The only difference is the addition of B vitamins to the saltwater one that isn't completely necessary.
Hope this helps! :)
-lefty

corey21

Thank you I will do that. One more question. Can i add copper and that maracyn at the same time??

lefty

Copper is a good treatment for ich, but this doesn't sound like what your fish has so it wouldn't be of much help. I don't see a reason to use it in this case. :happyfish
-lefty

corey21

Actually my tank just came down with ich and my angel just started acting like this aroud the same time I have never seen this in a fish before so do you think I can treat for both??? Ebili eye is not scratching like the other fish and there is no visible ich on him I am haveing a hell of a time right now wth my tank. thanks for your help much appreciated

lefty

Please tell me you didn't add copper into your display tank. If you did...it's not the end of the world, but it's definitely something you don't want to do again.
It's okay to treat for both at the same time (in a QT). I have an ich-ridden firefish in a QT right now that's undergoing hypo and the Maracyn-Two treatment for a bacterial infection. He's not eating, but that's because he's got two diseases at once. I'd imagine I wouldn't be too hungry either. =P
Dealing with sick fish is very hard and time consuming...but if everything is done right, the outcome can be very rewarding. :)
-lefty