J

jrisgr8

I have a 60g long with LRLS and the following specs
1 3in clown
1 3-4 in lion (on frozen food)
1 CC star
6 snails
10 hermits
1 small Sally lightfoot crab (very passive)
PH 8.1
Amm. 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrates btw. 20 & 40
Tank has been going for over a year and a half.
Are these numbers OK to get a Flame Angel or other small angel and/or Purple Tang? Both fish are very laid back to other fish their size. I really want a Purple Tang and Angel but am worried about bio load and I know Angels are sensitive and I am concerned about my nitrates. Lion will be moving out when he is big enough to eat my other fish. I am going to be doing a 120-130g setup in the next year and the Lion will be in that when he is larger. Also, what other Angels besides a Flame are smaller that could fit in a 60g tank?

nicetry

Pass on the tang. Tank's too small. The dwarf angel would be fine, but ypou need to be sure you move the lion as it will grow large enough to eat the angel within a year or so.

J

jrisgr8

Not a dwarf. If I got a tang later, would it be OK with the lion in the 120/130g? I could keep it in my smaller tank and then move it to the larger one when it needed more room. The thing I am afraid of is that the lion will eat it. How large do the purple tangs get? Are they smaller to the point that the lion would eat them when he is larger and the tang is larger?

fishcrazy2

U should Try a lil bigger angelfish or a bigger tang
Like rock beuty angelfish
or Naso tang like big stuff like that

J

jrisgr8

Also, nitrate levels on my 60g do not seem to high for the smller angels?

nicetry

While not ideal, your nitrate levels shouldn't pose much of a problem to an angelfish. Centropyges are pretty hardy once acclimated, and fish can tolerate higher concentrations of trates over time. Acclimation needs to be slow. A full grown lion won't go after a large tang, and purples get pretty big. I'd pass on the tang until the actual upgrade. Often times for many reasons, those upgrades don't happen and you're stuck with a tankful of overgrown fish. As a general rule, a lion will try to eat what ever can fit in it's mouth. I've seen an adult P. volitans with a lemonpeel angel sticking out of it's mouth, or at least the back half.
The clown is more at risk and the linon will be large enough to eat it before you get the larger tank.
Keep up with your water changes (RO water) to keep the trates manageable, particularly with a big eater like the lion.

guineawhop

the purple tang i would wait until you have the bigger tank. when you do get the bigger tank put the lion in the bigger tank and keep your 60 goin and put the purple tang in there by itself until it gets big enough to be put in with the lion. make sure you have a lot of current in the 60 for the tang as well. or you could just sell your lion because there are probably a lot of fish you will want to buy once you have the bigger tank and won't be able to because of the lion. just a thought. i know a bunch of people that have them and later on wish they never bought them because of that reason.

J

jrisgr8

Thanks everyone. Lots of current in the 60 already, over 900gph turn over. I think I will get the angel for now. Once I get the lion moved, I will get the tang and move it to the bigger tank. The tank is pretty much a done deal. We are starting construction on the stand in the next week or so. 120g min. we are discussing a 180g. I want a minimum of 72 in long. and I just don't think a 120g will be wide enough. We will see.

dgirard05

HI JR.:
LIKE ALL SALT WATER PROG. GO SLOW. IS YOUR TANK A FISH ONLY OR A REEF. ANGEL LIKE TO HIDE. DWARF CAN BE KEEPED THERE TUFF.THE COME IN ALL SHAPES & SIZES.DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFOR YOU BUY . IF YOU HAVE A DEALER WHO YOU TRUST ALL THE BETTER.SOME CAN ONLY BE KEEPED ONE ONLY. SOME CAN BE KEEPED IN A HARIM. I HAVE (3)POTTIERS FOR ABOUT 2YR. THE COLORS ARE ORANGE & BLUE THE DARKER THE BLUE THE DEEPER THE WERE WHEN THE WERE CAUGHT 'THE LIGHTER THE BLUE THEY WERE TAKEN IN SHALLOW WATER. YOU HAVE TO PUT THEM INTO THE TANK AT THE SAME TIME. YOUNG ONE ARE BETTER THEY HAVE'NT BECOME PICKIE EATERS. WHAT ANGEL YOU PICK READ ABOUT THEM BEFOR YOU BUY. IF I CAN HELP GIVE A HOLLER AT MY EMAIL ADD. GOOD LUCK.
DAVE:

J

jrisgr8

IS YOUR TANK A FISH ONLY OR A REEF.

I have some live rock(about 60-70lbs). Lots of hiding places if he wants it.
There is a dealer locally that I have bought from, so a reputable dealer is not an issue.
How long of an acclimation time do you suggest for a Flame?

dgirard05

jr
FLAMING ANGEL HARDY BETTER KEEP IN GROUPS OF ODD # LIKE 1, 3, 5, 7 ECT. KEPT IN REEF TANK THAT DOES NOT CONTAIN LARGE -POLP, OR STONE CORAL OR XENIIDS,TRIDACNA LET THEM FLOAT A GOOD 1HR TO 1 1/2
DAVE

J

jrisgr8

Well...I did not get the flame. I found a Coral Beauty that was a nice size (not able to fit in the Lions mouth
) and the price was right (they were asking about 57.00 for the Flame). It is a beautiful fish. I think I may like it more than the Flame too.

guineawhop

57 is definitely high for those at least around where i live. the flames are usually around 45-50. so good decision on getting the coral beauty. i use to have one and they have a good personality. good luck