Angel Fish that will work well in a 55 gallon?

Well, the tank is coming together and I am trying to decide what to put in it so far. From looking at the pictures on this site I am really interested in getting an angel. Which ones are recommended for a tank my size? I really like the looks of the emperor angel both the juveniles and when they become adults but I worry that they might get too big for a tank my size. Any suggestions?

goofieones

You are right, the full sized angels will get WAY to big for a 55. Though that may be disapointing to hear, any small angel will work well with that sized tank.

dr. jay

Flame angel man.... Beautiful fish. Hardy, and striking colors. Nice disposition too. They are Dwarf angels and dont get too big. I love mine.

dugan

I've had bad luck with Flame Angels, although I must say they are gorgeous fish.
I would have to vote for a Flameback Angel... hardy, beautiful and entertaining to watch.
Good luck!
Katie

Hey everyone,thanks for all the advice, you are right it is disapointing to hear that I can't have the fish I want, but I would rather do it right from the start than have to watch 200$ in fish go down the drain. So other than the few that were mentioned,is there any good way to tell the dwarf angels apart from the regular ones? All I can see is pictures on this site, maybe I will look around. Also would it be possible to do a dwarf angel and a dwarf lion? My LFS has a really bad ass dwarf lion for less than $20 that I would like to pick up but not if I won't be able to have angels with him.

nanook

Hi Matt
To identify dwarf angels, look for the word Centropyge in their scientific name. For example Centropyge bispinosus (Coral Beauty), Centropyge loriculus (Flame) ect.
Coral Beauty's my personal fav.
cheers...

guppie

You might want to wait for about six months untill the tank has settled down, and mutured. A large angle would not work in your tank, a good small angle is a coral beauty. Good Luck

devante

I have three angels in my 75gal tank. A Lemon peel, Flame and a Black angel(he's all black). I wouldn't suggest having more then two angels in a tank that size, but I've had no problems. I do bi-weekly 15% H2O changes and have about 100lbs of LR.

fishgirl

Woa! :eek: I thought you weren't supposed to have more than one dwarf angel in a tank less than 100 gallons as they would fight! Do you think I could have a flame angel AND a coral beauty in my 75? :) ;)