angels and corals

many people say that angels eat corals but is it true that they don't eat *all* corals....i have a coupple of angels in my tank and there not even looking at my corals....does anyone know what corals to stay away from if i have angels??

sepulatian

What kind of angels do you have and how long have you had them? What corals do you have now? What sized tank is this?

crt81

Originally Posted by angel-lover14
i have a queen angel for about 3 days and am getting a blue face angel in a 60 gal and have mostly sps

Do you think it's wise to put those size angels in a 60 gallon?

lesleybird

Originally Posted by crt81
Do you think it's wise to put those size angels in a 60 gallon?
NOT WISE AT ALL. You worry about the corals? S the corals what about the poor fish? Each one of those fish needs a 300 gallon tank, and at least a 125 while small. Lesley

truefishman

you probably didnt even think about it at the store you just bought them
i feel terrible for the fish
they will probably die sooner or later they need a lot of room to roam i have one and in like the first night she explored the whole tank

ophiura

Folks - please refrain from being too harsh. We have an opportunity to help here.
Angel Lover, unfortunately you have fish that are not suitable for that tank size long term, and you have not kept them long enough to know how they will do with corals.
I would very very strongly discourage you getting any other large species of angels, and I think you should consider trading the queen back in soon. There are smaller species that are suitable for this tank size, but I think y ou will have problems long term trying to keep these.
There is a lot of experience with large angels on this board. I hope that you will take some of the advice into consideration

ccampbell57

Originally Posted by angel-lover14
i have a queen angel for about 3 days and am getting a blue face angel in a 60 gal and have mostly sps
Angel - a 60 is not large enough for just one of the fish that you have listed. A queen will get up to 15".
I have 3 large angels in a 180 and am upgrading to double that in 12 months. You are setting these precious fish up for certian death. Please take them back to the LFS that you got them at or buy a bigger tank to put them in.

R

rcreations

Look into the dwarf angels. They don't get very big and will do fine in a 60gal. The coral beauty and flame angels look great and fall into this dwarf category.
Also, I don't think you should have 2 angels in the same tank.

jonthefishguy

I just dont know what to say about this. Poor fish.... BTW, you guys might want to look at his/her previous post. I just did and apparently he/she has other angels in the 60 gallon as well. There was a mention on whether this person was a troll. I am not sure, but a mod reminded in a previous thread that he/she could only have one name. So, I am not sure this is legit and if so, how much being a responsible aquarist actually means to this person. JMO

wattsupdoc

Quote from a previos thread by this user. Also this person is apparently only 12 y.o.
thanks for the info i really need it and as for fish i have another blue-face angelfish and two dwarf angelfish and also a blue tang who had a lot of ick but has healed some what and a maroon clown, but i also saw that you had some angels your self....what do u feed them???
Appears as though you have 2 dwarfs, a blue face, a queen, a imperer, and you mentioned another one somewhere, as well as a tang, all in a 60 gal......HMMMMM.

ophiura

It doesn't help, however, to jump down their throats. We want people to listen, not be shouted down as irresponsible. If they don't come back, what good have we done?
Basically, we can help here if the OP is willing to come back, and to listen to the advice. Education leads to responsible practices...not everyone is aware, from the outset, that certain fish have particular needs and so in that regard they may not intend to be irresponsible at all.
This is not a "its not the ocean" so who cares what tank they are in situation at this point. So I still have hope

crt81

One should have done research!
Any site or online dealer would have clearly stated the tank size for those fish and what they require. So there is no excuse for someone saying they disn't know!!!!!!!!
RETURN THOSE ANGELFISH TO THE PLACE YOU GOT THEM FROM!!!!!!
This is not everyone being mean, but everyone being REAL!

ophiura

It is a nice thought to have done research, but it is not the reality in any way. VERY few people in this hobby do research before buying. It is not good but it is the norm. Only a handful start seeking help beyond their LFS, and that is happening here.
What matters is that this person came here for HELP and we have that opportunity. It doesn't tend to help when people come down on someone. They don't want to come back.
So yes, the fish need to go back...that is a given...but there are ways to encourage it and ways to discourage it!

al mc

I totally agree with Ophuira. In the real world people make mistakes and if they ask for advice we should try to encourage them to do the right thing not discourage them them if they did not.
In my business it is known that only 50% of pets (dogs/cats) ever see a veterinarian at any point in their lives (yep..it is true/sad).....I remind my staff that if a client comes in with a pet that they are caring for inappropriately that at least they are within the 50% that do seek medical care and that it is our job to educate them in such a way that they would like to learn more/seek medical advice again in the future for the betterment of their pet's lives.