Anglers?

iyachtuxivm

Anyone have a good sorce for info on anglers? I have been looking for a few days and I find lots on size and water conditions. It seems that most info is inaccurate on reef compatibility, I understand the "if it fits in its mouth its gone" but what about corals. My wife thinks they are venomous I have not found anything supporting this. Any help would be great!

cal559

I know the wartskin angler is reef safe, there not venomous....
I may plan to do a 20g tank with just 1 wartskin angler with a bunch of cool corals...lol

cal559

Originally Posted by jelly-shrimp
http:///forum/post/2922752
What do you recommend for a sargassium angler?

I believe the max size for the sargassum angler is 6"-8" and they are reef safe also...
A tank size of 30g-40g for just 1 would be min. try to buy a tank that is long...like something that is 36" long, this is so if the angler does reach 8" then that's more than 4x's its adult length...
I would recommend this layout: 36"L x 12"H x 20"W = 38g
****FOR ONLY 1 SARGASSUM ANGLER****

iyachtuxivm

Originally Posted by cal559
http:///forum/post/2922733
I know the wartskin angler is reef safe, there not venomous....
I may plan to do a 20g tank with just 1 wartskin angler with a bunch of cool corals...lol
Thats my plan I have a 22+gal tank. I just drilled it was thinking one warty and some really cool zoos and maybe a few chalice corals. I am not sure if other lps would hurt the angler though. Its good to hear they arn't venomous too thanks! And ill try to PM cranberry too thanks again.

cranberry

Ohhhh.... Angler talk.
What are y'all calling reef safe? They'll eat your shrimp. Won't touch your corals.
I have a maculatus (warty) right now. Beautiful choice. They only get about 3-4". Another great choice is the pictus or the painted angler. They get a bit bigger at 4-6.5 inches.
There isn't any really great reads out there. They were featured in Coral magazine, so you could get a back order of that. Scott Michael's Reef Fishes book covers them and then there's the site http://www.frogfish.ch. There's some conflicting information from a lot of the sources so take what you read with a grain of salt.
We had a Sargassum some years back. These are really different because they have swim bladders and can actually jump out of your tank. They were "made" to jump out of the water sargassum rafts when threatened. So, make sure there is a hood.

iyachtuxivm

Hey I didnt even have to PM you! Thanks for the info. Most are not venomous correct? And like I said I realize the if it fits in its mouth its gone thing. What about LPS and stings on the angler?
Yup maculatus or pictus will be my choice. Great site too thanks!

cranberry

I heard the word Angler. :)
None are poisonous. I wouldn't worry about LPS hurting him.... but they can kill some LPS if they decide to perch on one day in and day out.
Just a side note, I'd be nervous about ordering one online in case they misID it. That happens all the time and you don't want to buy a warty and end up with a commerson.

iyachtuxivm

Right thanks again! I am hoping that I can get my trusted lfs to order one for me. They do all QT on fish ordered through them. The reason I got interested in these is a local ***** had a "Colored Angler" thats what they called it anyway. It was black with a real long lure. I am guessing by the site you listed its a longlure. Anyway it was a riot to watch it use the lure to try and get the yellow tang to come over and "have lunch". I wanted to buy it just to save it from them but not knowing much I went to learn more first ( i dont buy livestock from there). Anyway it was gone on wednesday one of their employees took it home finally.