Animal Planet investigates Petland.

fishtaco

I think the ad said it was going to air on May 10, might be worth a watch, but unfortunately I think we all know the plot.
Fishtaco

aquaknight

Yea, it will solely on dogs and puppy mills. I remember they (random group of people) held a protest at a Petland in Orlando. The thing about the aquarium side is that *****/Petland get many/most of their fish/corals/inverts from the same suppliers as the "big online boys." So the issue is the stores themselves, which obviously an hour documentary on a pimply-faced teenager not taking due care isn't as compelling, and rightfully so.

speg

the place is always disgusting. My wife told me that her brother used to work at one and when stuff died they'd put it into a garbage bag and let it sit until the end of the day. If something wasn't looking 'sellable' they'd throw it in the bag of dead stuff-alive.

mrdc

Very interesting and I plan to watch. Thge Petland here is really focused on churning out dog sales. Will be interesting to watch this special.
As far as the salt section, they get some decent coral but they charge way too much. They were losing money on fish loss and jacked up their prices instead of fixing their tanks.

flower

Originally Posted by mrdc
http:///forum/post/3267246
Very interesting and I plan to watch. Thge Petland here is really focused on churning out dog sales. Will be interesting to watch this special.
As far as the salt section, they get some decent coral but they charge way too much. They were losing money on fish loss and jacked up their prices instead of fixing their tanks.

I won’t buy my coral from the Petland out by me, it is all covered in hair algae. I even told the manager guy that I don’t want that mess in my tank, hoping he would clean things up.

mrdc

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3267318

I won’t buy my coral from the Petland out by me, it is all covered in hair algae. I even told the manager guy that I don’t want that mess in my tank, hoping he would clean things up.
Yep same here. That is why they have big losses. There tanks are filthy and filled with ich. I won't buy again from there. It will be interesting to see the animal planet show to see if it hurts their business any. Their dogs here are also outrageously priced.