Annoying Clown

bbb

We have a GS maroon clown that has claimed the top half of the tank as it's territory. Every time you stick you hand in to move something or even if you put your hand in to feed the fish it will attack you. It dosn't hurt or anything, so should we just ignore it when it attacks us?

0verfl0w

That's funny...the lady at a LFS told me they had one in their front display that would do the same thing. They used to have one of their employees keep it at bay with a net on one side of the tank while they worked on the other. That story along with the fact that I saw one at another LFS that was the size of a pancake made me go with a some Perculas instead. I had no idea they grew to be that big.

wax32

Ignore it for now, keep band-aids handy later when it gets big and starts to draw blood.

jacknjill

i have a pair of tomatoes. my female, about 5 inches, rams and bites y hand if i get tooo close to her anenome. and it hurts! she packs quite a powerful punch for her size.

wax32

Not likely. But Ricordea aren't real hardy, I don't think I'd want a clown hosting in it anyway.

benj420

My GSM used to try and nip at me, but seems to have given up on that and has taken to try and shoo me away with her tail. That started happening right about the time I added a Rose Bubble Tip Anemone and she dove right in. She will still strike the magfloat if it comes to her end of the tank. I recommend getting a Bubble tip of one color or another, they love them.

turningtim

LOL! my GSM does the same thing, its too funny. She excavates around "her" red brain and gets real mad and flips her tail if my hands are in the tank. She also does not like the mag float. I don't know how much the brain likes it but she seems very content as long as I don't mess with her home.

bbb

Originally Posted by Oceanists
If you start feeding them by hand they will eventually come to peace with your hands being in the tank
What type of food and how long does it take to train them to do eat out of your hand?