Another bonehead question...

crustymonk

Currently I have cc in my new tank. Its kinda a like fine gravel like you see for freshwater gravel. I have been pulling my hair out in wether or not to remove it and put in sand. I am getting all my live rock tomorrow and would like to know if I do indeed remove the cc could I add the LS and LR at the same time? I know the tank will be cloudy as heck.

jakebtc

I had cc for a while then I got some live aragonite put it over top of it ls is def way better then cc but the cc wont hurt anything especially on the bottom

T

tampausmc

I would pull it while you have this perfect opportunity.......i'm not an expert myself but i started with crushed coral and after all the bad things i heard it drove me crazy so after i already had fish in my tank i went through a much more difficult process of removing it and replacing with a really nice live sand.......but i think you should do it now while it's still fairly easy....it's worth it just in the looks alone if you get the right sand......i was mixing actually before too after some time the finer sand would get moved around and next thing you know the crushed coral is back on the top........i'd change......just an opinion though...good luck

leftyblite

I agree with all of the above, LS is the best way to go AND its only a bonehead question if its not asked!!!

crustymonk

Ok, the cc is now gone. I am picking up 110lbs of LS in the morning along with my FIJI LR. My wife was furious
to see me remove all that cc. She said it was a waste of time. I hope that following all the advice here will pay off and the misses will see how awsome it will turn out

Thanks guys

symon

Even she will think it looks better once it's all said and done! You will apprecitae the change , because you will have less nitrates to worry about, Of course since you are adding LS and LR you do realize there will be a cycle?!

T

tampausmc

good choice.....you'll be happy you made the change.......appearance is way better too

crustymonk

Originally Posted by Symon
Even she will think it looks better once it's all said and done! You will apprecitae the change , because you will have less nitrates to worry about, Of course since you are adding LS and LR you do realize there will be a cycle?!

This is a new tank...hasnt been cycled yet.