another chromis bites the dust

denny80688

I dunno whats going on but one by one my chromis are vanishing. No remains left, no amonia spike, and no more chromis... I started with 5. then every few months one vanishes. Now Im down to 2. Everything else in the tank is healthy. water params are good
Ph 7.4
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 20
If my hippo isnt getting sick then theres no way the chromis are

any thoughts? I still think the emerald crabs are killing them but I have been told its unlikely...

razoreqx

Funny you said that. My chromis started out at 11 and im down to one over the last year. One by one each has jumped ship out of the tank and the cats have dragged them off :)
I found that these fish are not to smart. I'll give an example. I use the bottle trap to catch fish when I want to remove them from the display. I have had to do this in the past with a dwarf angel that decided he like my soft corals.. Anyway. I had no luck with the bottle because I couldnt keep the chromis OUT of the trap.
So I just think their not to bright and jumped out of my display. I run an open hood btw.

sato

PH of 7.4:scared:
Isnt that a little low there? That is almost a nuetral PH.
Perhaps im missing something but afaik thats not a good thing...

razoreqx

7.4 is low but i always assume they are using those strip testers that really dont give you a great reading.. If your seeing a 7.4 with a PH monitor / sensor I would probably be concerned.

denny80688

oops typo. 8.4.. now Im confising myslef Ill have to go test it again this afternoon
Guess thats why you should write these things down. I used to keep a nice spreadsheet with my weekly tests now I just make sure it looks normal and dont write anything down :)

razoreqx

Originally posted by denny80688
oops typo. 8.4.. now Im confising myslef Ill have to go test it again this afternoon
Guess thats why you should write these things down. I used to keep a nice spreadsheet with my weekly tests now I just make sure it looks normal and dont write anything down :)

Yea thats better. I really dont worry about my PH level as much as I worry about the nighttime to daytime PH swings... thats what really does the damage.

sato

I assumed it was a type but you can never be sure. There are some nuts out there who do some crazy things...
My favorite however
Person "Everything died"
Fish guy "Did you check your water?"
Person "It tested fine 2 days ago"
Fish guy "Did you do anything out of the ordinary today?"
Person "I cleaned the glass"
Fish guy "With what?"
Person "Windex"
I got that alot when I used to work in the fish stores, it is really amazing how many people thing windex is nothing more then a clear purple or blue liquid.

razoreqx

Originally posted by Sato
I assumed it was a type but you can never be sure. There are some nuts out there who do some crazy things...
My favorite however
Person "Everything died"
Fish guy "Did you check your water?"
Person "It tested fine 2 days ago"
Fish guy "Did you do anything out of the ordinary today?"
Person "I cleaned the glass"
Fish guy "With what?"
Person "Windex"
I got that alot when I used to work in the fish stores, it is really amazing how many people thing windex is nothing more then a clear purple or blue liquid.

LOL!!