another crab to look at/id

mr_x

i hate to kill anything, so when i get in a piece of coral, that happens to have a crab on it, i take him/her off and toss him in the sump. all the crabs up to date have been tiny things..about the size of a lima bean, tops.
tonight while i was dumping the skimmer cup, i looked down into the skimmer area and spotted a crab just about the diameter of an egg. i guess he lived on macros.....

oceanlover

Any chance you can get a picture of the front of the crab?
It might be a Shameface crab (Calappa sp.) although they are not common in aquariums. They have large flattened claws that they appear to be hiding behind. If it is a Shaemface crab, they eat snails and they like to bury in the sand. They are not good for a reef.
It might be a form of Porcelain Crab too as they have the flatter front claws. Does it have feathery appendages? They like plankton.

mr_x

it's definitely not a porcelain crab. i'll pull him out and shoot a few pics after work tonight. oh, i wasn't thinking of adding him to the reef- that's the reason he ended up in the sump in the first place.
the thing is, if it eats snails, what did he live on in the sump? stomatellas maybe?

cranberry

I would feed him frozen foods like silversides and krill. Are they omnivores? (If it's a shame face). If they are you can give him a little veggie or macro.... but I'm not sure if they are omnivores or not.
Can't wait to see the pic... he looks very interesting.
EDIT: Oh sorry, you said you thought he was living on macros... so he probably is omnivore unless he was one starved carnivore.

renogaw

someone had posted a picture of a paddle legged crab, it's been a while but i'll see if i can find it.

stdreb27

He looks awesome! Although i have no idea what he is. If he is living in the sump he does have other crabs to eat if he is a meat eater...

scrombus2

Looks like a stone crab to me. There's a bunch of different species, so an exact ID will be difficult. They are indeed omnivores. I had one in a FOWLR and couldn't believe how aggressive he was. He was collected locally, about the size of a dime at first, in less than a year was 2 inches across the carapace. Had to tear down the tank to remove him.Rule of thumb: black tips on the claws= bad crab.

renogaw

it doesnt appear to have red eyes, which is a sign of maybe not being a predator... those pincers though are pretty sharp