Another Cyano Post

algaepad

Hello to all,
Just curious if anyone out there has used the product Chemi-Clean and what the results were. I am battling cyano right now in a couple of spots in my 90 gallon and nothing seems to be working. I was at fault for not doing water changes for a year (based on local advice when I purchased my Euro skimmer). My tank is over a year and a half old. I started doing weekly water changes(10%) about a week ago. I also tried one application of this Chemi Clean product but did not really see any results. I did not follow up with the second recommended application after 48 hours as I started to think that I better not use additives to solve this problem. I have recently read some of the older threads and see that lack of circulation seems to contribute to the problem. I have two MaxiJet powerheads running in both corners of the tank but they haven't been cleaned in forever. May be time to take those out and scrub them and hopefully that will increase circulation some.
Just curious as to how common of a problem this is and again if anyone has had success with this product.

algaepad

Yea, hopefully these weekly water changes and cleaning out my powerheads will get my tank back to where it was. I also just realized that I have one VHO bulb, out of four, that has not been changed in over a year and a half. Changing that one out tomorrow.

clarkiiboi

I never used it either. When you were looking through the old threads did you happen to come across this one. Great thread on what can contribute to cyano and what has worked for others. HTH

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I have used it with goods results and it should be safe as long as you use as directed. Be sure to measure water volumn by actual water in tank, not by tank size. What I have found that works better however, is just lights off for several days, except to feed fish. This will kill the cyano effectively, and longer term.

clarkiiboi

I was going to say look for you (Beth), but I wasn't 100% sure. And with the new edit rules, I decided not to, just incase.

bot587

I prefer the natural method, get a cleanup crew in there. Put maybe a few stars (serpent or brittle(not green)) and definitely add some coraline turbo snails!

toughguy80

I had a bad outbreak. I was told to cut lighting time down. I went from 10 hrs a day to 5-6. My corals and anemones were all fine and cyno cleared up in about 3 weeks so you do have to be patient. I then slowly brought lighting time back up to around 8 hrs. I also used a powerhead or turkey baster to get cyno off my LR to help out. This was all about 4 months ago and no problems since then. I would recommend trying this method instead of the quick fix chemical one, more then likely the problem will keep reoccurring. G/L in whichever way you choose to go:)

mburnickas

I have an issue right now so I am trying the lights out for 3 days per Beth. I figure this is better then chemicals..

toughguy80

I agree mburnickas. And I would also recommend reducing lighting per day after that period and slowly increase lighting time over a period of a month or 2.

mburnickas

today is no lights for 3 days except for feeding (20 minutes total on time). I like to put on 5 minutes on actinic and then add 5 mins on 10K. Then feed, then turn off in same operation.
So far the sand is really really clean, all brown cyano is gone. Tomorrow the times get hooked back up for then 4 hour start then go from there. If it comes back I have no idea.

squidd

Unless you changed the conditions that allowed it to grow...
It probably will come back...