another dead fish!!!!

joebob7

i got a fire fish theis weekend on sunday and i came home to find him with his head under a rock belly up
there werent and bite marks in him so the hermits hadnt got to him yet
i dont know what is wrong and im really worried
salinity 1.026
ph 8.0-8.2
amm 0
trites 0
trates0
i have no idea what could have gone wrong i already have had 2 clowns that died

rbaldino

Based on the information you've provided, I'd say your specific gravity is a bit on the high side and that may have come as a shock if he wasn't acclimated long enough, especially if it's much higher than your LFS's.

joebob7

i dripped him for about an hour and a half
i also have some red slime i dont know if this could kill him
thers some other wierd stringy green algea im not sure what it is

promisetbg

The sg. is fine. How is this tank set up, protein skimmer, what size, how long, what type of water are you using??? What are you using for circulation, and is there alot of surface movement? Did these fish come from the same LFS? How long was he bagged before you started acclimating him? What is the temp.? Phosphate reading? Have you considered a QT tank?

rbaldino

Originally Posted by promisetbg
The sg. is fine. How is this tank set up, protein skimmer, what size, how long, what type of water are you using??? What are you using for circulation, and is there alot of surface movement? Did these fish come from the same LFS? How long was he bagged before you started acclimating him? What is the temp.? Phosphate reading? Have you considered a QT tank?
According to another site I frequent, these fish should be kept at a specific gravity between 1.020 and 1.025. 1.026 may not be much higher than that, but if it's dramatically higher than the fish store's that could cause a problem.

promisetbg

Ocean specific gravity ranges from 1.020-1.030. He/she dripped the fish for 1 1/2 hours, it should have been ok..assuming the fish was'nt in hypo.

joebob7

ok all the equiptment i have is
20g tank
heater + thermometer
aqua clear powerhead
remora c aqua skimmer with a maxi jet 1200 powerhead
20lbs of LS
25lbs of LR
top fin 20 filter (considering taking it off)
130 watt PC JBJ light
the clowns came from another store not where i got the firefish
i have been using RO water but i used 2 gallons of distilled water recently
tje thermometer says its 80-82 degrees but it hasent changed since i emptied it out to put in the saltwater stuff (it used to be FW)
the fish was in a bag for about an hour
i want a QT but there arent any other fish in the tank now and i dont have the $$ right now
i havent checked phosphate before

rbaldino

Originally Posted by joebob7
ok all the equiptment i have is
20g tank
heater + thermometer
aqua clear powerhead
remora c aqua skimmer with a maxi jet 1200 powerhead
20lbs of LS
25lbs of LR
top fin 20 filter (considering taking it off)
130 watt PC JBJ light
the clowns came from another store not where i got the firefish
i have been using RO water but i used 2 gallons of distilled water recently
tje thermometer says its 80-82 degrees but it hasent changed since i emptied it out to put in the saltwater stuff (it used to be FW)
the fish was in a bag for about an hour
i want a QT but there arent any other fish in the tank now and i dont have the $$ right now
i havent checked phosphate before
I don't think phosphates would kill a fish, unless maybe they get really high. Could be you're just buying bad fish. Next time you see a fish you like, ask the employees about it. Ask how long it's been there, how well it's been doing. Maybe watch it eat. Then come back over the course of a week or so and continue checking on it.

dawman

Whenever I pick a fish at a LFS I ask them to feed it . Also how long they had it and what they have been feeding it . Also it is a good idea to find out the day[strike] your LFS get their fish ? Possible you bought fish the same day they received them .[/strike]

joebob7

ive had the tank up and running with LR and LS since thanksgiving
so i think its ctcled
a ph drop might have happened the ph has been low since ive had it

anonome

I always test the bag the fish is in for the bear mininimum the salinity. Most LFS have there tanks at below par. From my experience usually around .020. With this taken in account I would acclimate this fish for at least 2 hours at my salinity 1. 025.
There are bad fish that get shipped to LFS that hope someone buys them before they die. Most LFS don't have the warranty on living fish.

catawaba

Take some of your tank water in to your LFS and have it tested for 'everything'.
Make sure your test kits are in good condition and are used correctly.
Need to increase drip time IMO. And keep the lights off for a day.
Are there any chemicals in your tank or treatments that you used in the past? (Like copper)
Please don't buy any more fish until you get your tank stable and your husbandry as perfect as possible. You may want to go back and re-read some information and make double sure you are on target.
Oh, and make sure your acclimating container is NEW and has never had chemicals of any kind in it.
Make sure you get your tank problems taken care of too. No red slime and no hair algae is a good start.

reefforbrains

do a PH test right before you turn ON lights in the morning, Too much algea can dump your PH while the lights are off, kill a fish and leave no change in Trates, Trites, or Amonia. And you are left scratching your head wondering what in the heck happened.