another fuge question

cyslyde

Ok I've been cntemplating turning one of my old Rubermade water buckets into a sump/fuge, combo. it is 18.5 gallons.
Please bump me to other posts if these have allready been answered
Been looking at the LFS and i think i got a design to go with, but most of them use Bio balls which as i have been reading don't work well for a reef. another one uses some blue spongy stringy stuff (sorry don't know the name) is this stuff anygood, or should i just have it dump over LR?
also is there a modification i can do to my maxijet 1200 so that it is used as a single pump so i don't have to worry about a two pump system becoming uneven. usually my fuge just uses a gravity feed from the main tank and a ph back to the tank, but thats not possible with this tank.

wyldgunz

Theres quite a few post here dealing with rubbermade sumps/refugiums... id recomend doing a search and use the words rubbermaid and sump id stay clear of a lot of the filter media though as bio balls and high micron filters catch a lot of the materials that corals need . For my sump/fuge im just using live rock and live sand , a protien skimmer and a filter on my return pump to keep anything large from going back into the display.
Also a canister filter one day a week with carbon.