another HLLE question

bgbdwlf2500

Im just going to ask, what causes HLLE?
please dont ask my tank parameters as i dont feel there is anything wrong there.
out of all the fish in the tank only 2 have it and have had it... its a sailfin and 2 spot foxface. the sailfin has spots above both eyes and the top and bottom fins were going away. ive got the fins almost back perfect but the spots above the eyes are still there and im pretty sure i can now see the lateral line.
the foxface's tailfin is pretty much gone in comparison to a foxface that is fine and has the same spots above the eyes.
ever since adding calcium the fins of the sailfin have gotten better. the foxface i dont notice any improvement. i started adding Zoe and that seemed to speed up the fin recovery on the sailfin. it seems that awhile back Marine C got rid of it in the sailfin, i didnt have the foxface at the time.
So what causes it? i do feed a mix of stuff and they do get nori almost everyday. there are 3 ground probes in the tank....
HELP

beth

Administrator
Staff member
There are several possible causes. HLLE is a symptom of something gone wrong with environment or nutrition. There is info on the basics of HLLE, and causes, in the FAQ Thread at the stop of this forum. Take a look.

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/2628809
There are several possible causes. HLLE is a symptom of something gone wrong with environment or nutrition. There is info on the basics of HLLE, and causes, in the FAQ Thread at the stop of this forum. Take a look.

thanks, didnt realize that went into that much detail. guess i need to find some C and after that will be taking the carbon out.... it does seem that when i went to sump was when the HLLE started. the sump has more carbon than a HOB does (of course).....
that begs the question though, what should a foxface and sailfin be eating to be healthy???

sepulatian

Originally Posted by bgbdwlf2500
http:///forum/post/2628832
thanks, didnt realize that went into that much detail. guess i need to find some C and after that will be taking the carbon out.... it does seem that when i went to sump was when the HLLE started. the sump has more carbon than a HOB does (of course).....
that begs the question though, what should a foxface and sailfin be eating to be healthy???
Carbon only effects the trace elements if you do not do regular water changes. The foxface and sailfin, along with any other fish that you may have, will benefit from a varied diet. Saltwater meats and plant life. Buy a few different kinds of frozen formula foods. Add more than just vitamin C. Selcon and Zoecon are good choices. Rotate the food and vitamins for a quality and healthy diet.

bgbdwlf2500

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2628839
Carbon only effects the trace elements if you do not do regular water changes. The foxface and sailfin, along with any other fish that you may have, will benefit from a varied diet. Saltwater meats and plant life. Buy a few different kinds of frozen formula foods. Add more than just vitamin C. Selcon and Zoecon are good choices. Rotate the food and vitamins for a quality and healthy diet.

what would you recommend? they get brine and mysis along with nori...they also get Spectra Thera A which they really like but its "rich" and causes algae problems so i dont feed them that very often.