Another nitrate question!!!

dmschiff

I'm trying to rid my nitrate problem. Unfortunately I do use tap water. ( working on a rodi)
My water always tests 0 nitrates out of the tap. Recently I tested it 2-3 days after it was mixed and it reads 5-10. Ammonia is 0 and Nitrite is 0. the nitrates in my DT are usually around 20 and don't seem to improve iwth water changes. this is what led me to test the tap over and over again.
Any idea what's going on? Any chance nitrates take a day to register?

dmschiff

I know I read somewhere that Instant Ocean (I think) had a problem a whild back and actually recalled some of their salt, but I'm not sure if this is true. I just bought this salt and the store prlaces its inventory on a weekly basis so I assume it is OK. I could be wrong!

socal57che

Originally Posted by dmschiff
http:///forum/post/2489516
I'm trying to rid my nitrate problem. Unfortunately I do use tap water. ( working on a rodi)
My water always tests 0 nitrates out of the tap. Recently I tested it 2-3 days after it was mixed and it reads 5-10. Ammonia is 0 and Nitrite is 0. the nitrates in my DT are usually around 20 and don't seem to improve iwth water changes
. this is what led me to test the tap over and over again.
Any idea what's going on? Any chance nitrates take a day to register?
What substrate and filtration do you have?

socal57che

Originally Posted by dmschiff
http:///forum/post/2489516
Unfortunately I do use tap water. ( working on a rodi)
Does a local grocer have one of the big water dispensing machines? If so try getting your water from it. 25 cents a gallon.

dmschiff

When the problem started I had a 60 gal with CC and lr and a canister filter that was basically used as a pump. Nitrates were up to 80 then. About 2 months ago, I upgraded to a 120, used LS and completely did away with CC, I now have a 30-40 gal sump/fuge with a huge ball of chaeto. Since I used 60-75% of the water from My old tandk I transferred some nitrates to the new tannk and they remain around 20.
However, my question is about the new water I use for water changes. It has always tested 0 nitrates, but I just recently realized that nitrates surface after a few days in my holding tubs.

socal57che

Doesn't make sense to me. If the only thing you did was add salt, then the salt is your most likely culprit.

dmschiff

I just contacted Instant Ocean. They never had a recall or problem with thier nitrates.
It must be my water or the filter on my incoming line, or maybe my holding tanks are somehow contaminated.