Another noisy overflow HELP!!!

atcone

I've been working on this for about a month now.I have a 100 gal.in my bedroom with all the equipment in basement. I'm using a ecosystem type refugium.I have tried the durso stand pipe. works for the overflow box noise inside tank, but the noise is from the water hitting the pvc on the way down to the refugium through 1.5 inch drain.I have tried a ball valve at the sump, only to be woken up at night by my pump sucking air because I could never get it tuned just right. So I installed a gate valve that would give me a more precice way to "tune" the flow to match my pump output.still can't get it match the pumps out put. I have the valve just before entering the refugium. Would it work better just below the overflow box? That seemes to be my next step. Any help would be appreciated

dreeves

I am not really sure i fully understand where the noise is coming from, but if it just the water inside the pipes moving...you may try getting some rubber pipe insulation from HD or Lowes...It just overlaps the pipe with like 1/2 foam tubing...may dampen the noise for you, and it isnt expensive.

zippy

Build an insulated box to set around your drainpipe going through the floor to the equipment. Keep it movable for maintenance, but sturdy enough to block the sound. You can use the pipe insulation like dreeves said, too.
If the sound is coming from the overflow make sure that your standpipe is properly sized in respect to the pipe diameter vs. the drain diameter. I think your drainpipe may be too large for the water volume flowing through, hence the noise.

beaslbob

not sure if I understand but on my HOB overflow I put some sponges over the top to muffle the sound.

foxthorn

I had the same problem on my 90gal.. The Durso helped the overflow noise guite a bit... but the water entering the sump was very loud and created a lot of bubbles.
What I did was add some back pressure to the drain line before it emptied into the sump. I did this by reducing from a 1 inch pvc down to 3/4 and then to 1/2 inch pvc pipe and added 5 90 degree elbows along the way. The elbows sent the pipe down to the bottom of the sump and then curved back up to let the water out just at water level.
This slowed the water down a bit which, in my case at least, has really helped with the noise. I hear very little now - except for the faint hum of the pump.
HTH