another nuissance algae...

kas2247

i've spent the last half hour searching through "nuissance algae" posts and can't seem to find what i'm looking for. i know i've seen pictures of this algae on here before, but don't remember where or when. i'm getting a brown algae with bubbles spreading over my sand first, then to rocks. it's almost stringy. when i did a water change yesterday and basted off the rocks, there were string-like things floating in the water column. today, they're back to looking like algae on the rocks. in some places they kind of come to a point with a little micro bubbble on top. i'll try to find or take a picture later if you need it for a positive id. just need to know how to get rid of it!
i only feed a few times a week with a combo of flake/frozen foods and only a little bit each time.
lights are on 10ish hours a day
ro/di water for all water changes/top offs
55gal reef with 6 small fish, snails, cleaner shrimp brittle stars and a few easy corals
sump/fuge with skimmer, dsb, chaeto & hermits

kas2247

It's not cyano, I've had lots of experience with that before. It looks just like the dino picture. I knew I'd seen that here before and just couldn't remember the name! Any specific cure for it, or just the normal lots of water changes and keep nutrients down?

kas2247

Wow, great article. Thanks a lot. Since I just did a wc yesterday, they're not looking too bad right now... I'll get something to start raising the ph and keep manually sucking out what I can get to and I'll see if that takes care of the issue.