another q-tank question

okie fish man

well i went and got my q-tank tank, a 10 gallon. and i just got air and sponge stones i heard this was the best is this true? anyways like i said i am going to put water from my established tank to it. you guys said it will still start a cycle is there somthing i need to do to promote this cycle, how long do you think it will last because i have a maroon clown with some sort of fungus, so i need to use the tank. the maroon clown is in my tank in a breeder net is this ok it took me all day to catch him so i really dont want to put it back in my big tank. thanks in advance

barracuda

The cycle will take a while. U don't have a time to do that. IMO fill the QT with the water from your display tank, put the infected fish in it, add the medicine. Stop feeding or feed just a bit. U will need to measure the Ammo, nitrites all the time and if u'll see any raising just make a water change to bring the toxic stuff down. Don't forget to add more medicine to the replaced water!!! Leave the bio filter in and running. This is what i did actually. And it worked with my coral beauty angel. He is still alive and my bio filter in the QT is working.
Good Luck!!!
Dima.

jumpfrog

You may want to add some ammo chips to your filter to take out the ammonia while the fish gets well. It won't let your tank cycle right now but at least you won't be stressing your already sick fish with an ammonia spike.
Once the fish is well and back in your display tank you could remove the ammo chips and let the tank cycle normally with a piece of shrimp or something.
Just a thought.
Good Luck!

barracuda

Hey, i forgot 1 thing. There is product called Ammonia detox by Kent Marine. It's pretty much strong removing the ammonia from the tap water as well as in the established tanks. A week ago my new leather coral started dieing and caused ammonia and nitrites to go high. I added this stuff as was specified and within 10 minutes i had 0 ammo and 0 nitrites.
Good luck!

psumba

Careful with q-tanks.
I almost killed my fish using one (he had ich and I thru him in).
I took water from the display, one rock (non-live), and a used filter from my mechanical into the q-tanks mechanical.
One day later my ammonia went nuts and he almost died from it. I thru him back in my display to take my chances with the ich.
He is alive and strong today.
I do need to figure out how to do this better so I can q my fish before they hit the display.
I was thinking of using some small bio-balls inside my mechanical and then place that in the q-tank when needed.

volitan

If you use water from the display tank and you have good carbon filtration and water movement, how will the qt cycle? There is nothing to cycle. You need to watch your ammonia because you have a large fish in a ten gallon tank. As far as a cycle, I wouldn't worry about that. :)