Another Salinity Question

jsteiert

Yesterday my salinity level was 1.031, I did a 20% water change and it reduced to 1.027. Today I checked it again and its back to 1.031... What gives?
Is there something I am doing wrong here?
How can i get the salinity to stablize around 1.025?
37g tall tank
hang on protein skimmer
biowheel 350 filter
270gph powerhead
30lbs LR
20lbs Base Rock
40lbs Live Sand
Ammonia - 0
nitrites=0
nitrates= 5
PH=8.4

birdy

What are you using to measure salinity? If you are using a hydrometer with a swing arm you need to be sure you are getting all the bubbles off the swing arm. I highly suggest you get a refractometer, they are sooo much better.
How long did you let the saltwater age for your water change?

dvincent

If you want to lower your salinity just remove some of the water from your tank, and replace it with fresh ro/di water, depending on the size of your tank you may want to start with 1 or 2 gallons so as not to stress your live stock, also be sure and only use ro/di water for topping off your tank, if you use salt water you will only raise your salinity again. another tip is to invest in a refractometer for testing your salinity with, the little swing arm tester is not accurate, and changes depending on water temp. Darrin

jsteiert

I currently use the swing arm tester. I will look into getting a different type.
I do use DI water when topping off the tank though, this does bring down my levels some but the increase overnight. Is it normal to have salinity levels increase overnight like I am. After topping off the tank with 1-2 gallons I have a level of 1.028, overnight it rises to 1.031.

pfitz44

are you testing right after you add in your top off?? If so, wait 30-60 min, then test... your probabilly not getting an accurate reading due to teh fresh water u just added

milomlo

Originally Posted by jsteiert
I currently use the swing arm tester. I will look into getting a different type.
I do use DI water when topping off the tank though, this does bring down my levels some but the increase overnight. Is it normal to have salinity levels increase overnight like I am. After topping off the tank with 1-2 gallons I have a level of 1.028, overnight it rises to 1.031.
Get a refractometer! I got mine off the big auction site for about $30. You will be amazed at the difference you water will test at compared to the hydrometer.