another seahorse researcher

fishman77

well i was maybe thinking of setting up a seahorse tank.im not certain at all.ive found little research so far.if im going to get them i would want them captive bred and eating frozen food.i know what diseases to look for.i would also keep probly a pipefish with them.if i were to do this is my set up of a 1 and a half inch sandbed and about 65 pounds of rock good?i would also get a hang on refugium to help copepod population for them.should i have plants in there for them to post on?is there any possible way to keep a clown and a blenny with them?what temp. do they need?what kind of coral can i have?
anything i missed throw it in.
pleease i need a lot of info:)

harlequin

Having been successful at pipefish and partially successful at seahorses, i will take a shot. I had them in a 65 gallon tank with a wet/dry. There was and is lots of macro-algae growing, a DSB and some lower light, non-stinging corals such as zoos and murfrooms :p. A clown and blenny will both be too aggressive for Syngnathid. I dont know what size tank you were going to use, but for a horse the smaller the better so it can get food. A pipe will be out-competing the horse for food being much more mobile, but it is still doable if you target feed. The only real fish I would put in with them would be gobies and or a clingfish(local fish i caught which stays small and does well). I had the seahorse for several weeks and it just was not worth the effort although mine was not eating prepared food either and i had to go down to my dock every other day and pick out pods from the algae, which sucks in gnat season. Eventually I brought him back to the LFS, the pipe I had for a long time.
A really good info site is www.Seahorse.org. They can answer questions much better than I.