Another slime/cyno question

drewissett

Ok, My tank has been set up for 8 months, and all I have been doing for the past 2 weeks is scrapeing cyno and red slime off everything in my tank.
The water tests are where they are suppesed to be, the corals and fish look good.
I have 2 powerheads, and a skimmer, as well as the filter moving the water(25 gal). I really am at a loss for what the problem is. I haven't lost anything in the tank, and I don't think I am overfeeding.
What have I overlooked?
Thanks for the help!

seasalt101

try some myacin if that is the wrong word i will correct it in about an hour when i get home, just went through an outbreak my self the stuff i got worked it was a 3 day treatment with no ill effects on my livestock or invertabrates. how big is your system?

scrapman

I have the same problem at the bottom of my 90 gal (LR/LS). My tank is 5 mos old. I started suddenly for no reason. My params are perfect. I do my WC. My fish are happy.
The more I scooped out the cyano, the more it comes back (overnigt). It is located at only one spot next to return of one pump. I read about water flow. It is perfect. I don't get it.... maybe it is a maturing stage (I also read this)???

hot883

Cut back on your feedings especially if you are feeding brine, cut lighting times and check your flow.

seasalt101

ok the product i used is called maracyn it is made by mardel it is used to treat fin and tail rot popeye and body fungus it no where on the package states cyno, just so you are aware, i used this oh 2 weeks ago and it worked the other cures are hit and miss according to alot of threads i read when i was battleing this stuff (it is not algae) other products people were reccomending was chemi-clean i think kent marine makes it but the root of your problem is phosphates that is what makes this stuff grow(overfeeding, not enough waterchanges, nitrates high) that is how i understood it anyway. well good luck to you tobin

gatorwpb

Additives like that only temporarily solve/mask the problem. You need to find the root of it or it will be back.
TyYpically, more flow and more sand stirrers help. Cutting back feedings and light times help as well.

badoleross

I had a bad Cyno problem in my 220 FOWLR, it was covering everything. I used Maracyn for freshwater. Add 1 crushed up tablet for every 10 gallon of water. Mine cleared in 3-4 days. Never did really find out what was causing it. I know it was not water flow, phosphates or over feeding. Tank was covered into a reef today.