Another Spotted Pufferfish question

I decided to give up adding corals to my tank so that I can buy this fish. However, will this fish kill my invertibrates? I don't want this fish killing my shrimp, crabs, and snails. If this fish is to be this troublesome, I'll have to pass on it. Anyone have any trouble with pufferfish killing invertibrates? Thanks.

azonic

puffers are known to feed on crabs, shrimps, and evens ome small fish once they grow larger. I've heard that also like to bite and nip at other fish as well.

puffermama

i have a dog face puffer and i also have crabs and a squirrel fish... he has not ever bothered any of them... as a matter of fact my squirrel fish nips at my puffer... but every fish is different... :rolleyes:

dee

My first puffer ate all of the damsels that I had used to help with the cycling process. My second puffer would touch anything but the krill and goldfish I fed him. Good luck.

M

mr.bubble

They *WILL* eat most of your inverts, some small fish(when they get bigger), and coral (f you have any). These are GREAT fish to have, but not in a reef. they are better in a fish tank with no corals or inverts, or small fish. Also, when these fish are young, they tend to nip at other fishes fins.

M

mr.bubble

Also, if you want, you can ask this Q at the agresive forum for the best posible answer on these wonderful fish! :D

dee

One more thing.. on a positive note. I loved my puffers, they would always welcome you and even liked to be touched. But... they can make a mess if they were really excited by splashing water out of the Tank at feeding time. One other thing.. if you have an acrylic tank, don't even think about getting a puffer. They nip at the front glass and make quite the mess of the acrylic, my yellow puffer made such a mess that we had to re-buff the tank before we started with the reef.

azonic

If you really like the fish, why not give it a try? It's obvious that some people have success keeping them with inverts and some people don't. You'll never know unless you buy one. I personally LOVED a spotted puffer i saw in a local store and was set on getting him when my tank was established...that was until i found out he was NOT reef safe :-(