Another vacation catastrophy story/ ATO help

raptor72

I returned Thursday night from a 2 week vacation only to find that my makeshift top off system failed drastically. Long story short, my return section of my sump ran dry and there was no heat going to the tank for probably at least a week. I came home to a tank with no live fish except for a clown and a blue hippo tang. The only corals left are two candycanes and a couple of ricordeas. All in all about a 98% loss. The water temperature was 63 degrees.Funny how I'll drop $500 dollars on something like an Ipad without thinking about it, but I skimp on a good ATO. I've started with the water changes and removing the dead corals and fish. To make sure this never happens again, I'm looking for a good ATO system. :banghead:

flower

OMG...That's terrible. I live in fear of leaving my home too long. I would spring for a house sitter...it's cheaper than replacing the potentual loss if something goes bad. It never seems to fail that when I'm away something goes wrong. I spent two weeks in the hospital, and the first one I called was my daughter to come to the house, because no way could my mother do what needed to be done if a pump failed....and after jst 1 day a pump on the 56g clogged, and between myself and 2Quills we talked my daughter through the steps to get the system back on line.
I have the JPJ ATO...$99.00 and it works perfectly....A plastic garbage can (fish only) filled with fresh RO, and at least that part of keeping things alive is worry free. I'm so sorry for your loss, don't toss out the corals that appear dead just yet, they coud bounce back.

acrylic51

That really sucks......Nothing ever fails till were gone from the house......I'd look into Tunze or a Litemeter as well......