Answer me this, please??????????/*

spmnarciso

Answer me this, please: I just flipped over a rock that had some nice pink/purple coralline on the bottom of it and two days later that coralline is no longer that color. I have 4- 40W flourescents and a calcium of 500. What's the deal?

shrkbait

What color is it now? :notsure:
How long has that piece of rock been in there? If it was growing well in the dark before...maybe the light was too much for it(although 40w doesnt seem like much at all).

spmnarciso

Seems like it is turning white.
I have 2 10,000k's, 1 50/50, and 1 actinic on 7 hrs a day. Should I alternate and do more of a sunrise/daybreak kind of thing; by placing the 50/50 and actinic on 2 hs before and 2 hrs after the 10,000k?

shrkbait

White can be from high/low PH or ALK. I dont know if you can have too much calcium though. Maybe not enough light or too much(I would say too little than too much though.) ...Also, The algea tends to get bumpy white so it can spread...kind of like coral. So you need to identify what type of white...My coraline turned all white(not good) for three weeks, but is on the recovery looking a lot better. You might just need to give it some time. If you chemistry is good than just wait and see. If you chemistry is bad than tweek it a bit. Check you salinity as well.

spmnarciso

why do you say white not good? My pH is 8.2. At least that's what the color says. My salinity is 1.024. I would think that if the lighting was too low that I wouldn't have any coralline, but it seems to grow better in shaded areas. I just did a water change last week and my pH seemed right. Should I add some 8.3 buffer, just to make sure? And if I were to add better lighting, which PC ballasts would you recommend? I have a custom hood that currently houses 4 48" flouresents (shoplight fixtures). I also added 2 4" fans, not like I need it for flourescents, but i figured that I would eventually need them.

dflannagan

If you don't have an Alk test, you might want to go out and get one. The coraline on the rock I had started turning white and I got the Alk test kit and found it was way low. I'm going to use the b-ionic calcium buffer to try and right the situation.

spmnarciso

Won't the calcium buffer increase your calcium? What does it mean for your Alk, if your calcium is 500? Aren't they connected in a way?

dflannagan

From what I've read (and I did try dosing some calcium but that went nowhere) can't really have good calcium numbers without having good alk. That's why the 2 part compound for calcium buffering. I've read really good reviews of this stuff on other sites/threads and am going to give it a shot.

dburr

Answer me this, please: I just flipped over a rock that had some nice pink/purple coralline on the bottom of it and two days later that coralline is no longer that color.
Flip it back over. It'll turn pink again.:joy: It likes lower light and you just gave it "brite light brite light".
White can be from high/low PH or ALK. I dont know if you can have too much calcium though.
Ph and Aalk would not turn it white that fast. Low alk and high calcium would make your tank like one of those little balls that you shake and the snow falls all around. It would fall right out of the tank. So, yes you can have to much calcium.
The algea tends to get bumpy white so it can spread...kind of like coral.
Never heard this. It spreads fine in my tank wwith out turning white. Sometimes it does turn white yes, but most of the time theirs a problem with the chemistry.
My pH is 8.2. At least that's what the color says. My salinity is 1.024. I would think that if the lighting was too low that I wouldn't have any coralline, but it seems to grow better in shaded areas.
Sounds ok and your right on shaded areas.
Should I add some 8.3 buffer, just to make sure?
No don't mess with a good PH.
If you don't have an Alk test, you might want to go out and get one.
I agree hear.
What does it mean for your Alk, if your calcium is 500? Aren't they connected in a way?
Yes, I secpect that the alk is low with high calcium.
From what I've read (and I did try dosing some calcium but that went nowhere) can't really have good calcium numbers without having good alk.
Oh no, the numbers can be way out af whack. read this.http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/nov2002/chem.htm
Dan