answers & opinions welcomed

two questions
1) will a protein skimmer be necessary/beneficial for a 55 gal fish only tank?
2) any type of preventative maintenance i can perform to help 'ich-proof' a tank? such as water conditioners or additives or tank maintenance?

fishfood

Well to start i would set up a Quarantine tank. Keep the fish in there for 2 or so weeks to try to make sure they aren't sick/or have ich. Also reduce stress. I believe TerryB has a series on here about Stress. I haven't read it but I assume it will tell you all about how to reduce and or eliminate it.

triggerfool

1. I have one on a fish only and i find it benificial, but i have triggers and they sure are messy eaters.
2. Every 7-8th time i feed my fish i soak their food in garlic extract. I know, it'll sound crazy to some, but it work like a charm. I used everything when i got a fish from my lfs that had ick (i was a newbie), but nothing worked till i came across a post on these very boards about people experimenting with the garlic. And that little fish turned out to be the monkey from OUTBREAK, and i had lotsa fish to cure. It worked stupendously, so ive given them some occasionally to keep the ick away. It doesnt seem to have any effect on the fish. I personally eat a lot of garlic and i only came down with ick once. I think it was a spiny puffer i invited over fpr dinner that gave it to me. Hes a shady fella.
Damn im verbose...sorry.

jakob4001

actually some people add garlic in one form or another; they even make marine product for it;usually pricey & can be substituted from store bought

S

sinner's girl

1. we have a fowlr and no skimmer. we do not find it necessary, though if it's beneficial you'll have to ask those who have them.
2. to 'ich-proof' don't buy fish that get ich easy? don't stress them, add only one fish at a time (well only adding a few at a time works for fresh water fish pond...). go the other board and you'll learn all about ich, and yes i there are/were post on stress

putt_77

I have a fowlr and no skimmer too. Though I think it also depends on the type of fish and the # of fish. As well as if you have any cleaner animals in your tank. I never have many fish at once in my tank, I suppose I would consider one if I had more.

dpittman

I initially wasn't going to get a skimmer but if you can afford it I would highly recommend it. Mine collects an amazing amount of organic matter that would otherwise remain in the tank.
As far as ick. Make sure to quarantine your fish and keep your water up to spec and you should be fine. Most ick cases seem to come from introducing fish that may seem fine but are carriers.

fshhub

skimmer is beneficial
and for prevention, you must have q tank
galric amy help(i use it, because it may help to prevent)
other than that, be ready for it, so you cna treat it properly in aq tank,a nd maintain excellent h2o
HTH