anthias

i<3fish

Hey, I was wondering about anthias. Are they hard to keep? I woukd only want 1. I heard you need to feed them 3 times a day? Is that true? LMK what the pros and cons of keeping anthias are. Thanks

sleeper

I did a bunch of research on anthias right before I was going to move to a 65 gallon. There are many different kinds of anthias, from lyretails to bimacs and everything in between.
They generally like to eat three times a day, that's true, but twice is really fine if you're conscientious about it.
Also, I would strongly recommend at least two, a male and a female, as it kind of defeats the real beauty of such a fish to have only one. Three is even better (if you have the space).
Google some good descriptions of anthias on certain sites and you'll get a good rundown of what to expect from each species.

1journeyman

Research them carefully.
As stated above, there are a wide array of Anthias. Some do well in tanks, others are not suited for captivity.
Keeping 1 probably won't work though. These are "schooling" fish. Just 1 will feel nervous and stressed all the time.