Antibiotics

i love fish

i wanted to ask if i can use antibiotics for other animals(eg. horse antibiotics, cat antibiotics, dog antibiotics etc.) on fish because i cant find fish antibiotics anywhere. ps. i havent used other antibiotics on my fish, i just want 2 know if i can.

al mc

Solubility, absorption and toxicity are certainly all the concerns when using
mammal antibiotics in fish tanks. Tetracycline, sulfa antibiotics and metronidazole are all antibiotics that are used on fish as well as mamals. The only one that I have seen in the exact same form packaged for fish and mammals is oxitetracycline.
Dose according to Noga: 40-380mg (large dose range) per gallon of water. Treat for 3 days, then do a 50% water change before any further treatment.
Personally, I would order a 'fish' prep from an online site and I would treat in a QT/HT .

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You can find fish medications online at any number of fish stores. That is what is best to do.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by i love fish
http:///forum/post/2640910
i wanted to ask if i can use antibiotics for other animals(eg. horse antibiotics, cat antibiotics, dog antibiotics etc.) on fish because i cant find fish antibiotics anywhere. ps. i havent used other antibiotics on my fish, i just want 2 know if i can.
What ailment does your fish have? Let's diagnose that before we worry about what treatment to use. Treatments for fish are best to use for fish.