Any arcitect's around?

noobzilla

It looks like I should have some money coming in soon and am getting ready to set up a 150g that I acquired, but am wondering if my floor can hold all the weight?
I plan on running a 55g sump (maybe slightly larger) under it, so I'm thinking it will be in excess of 4,000 lbs. I've got a guy that rents part of my basement out, and he's worried about waking up to a flood.
My other option is just setting it up in the basement, on concrete floor.
The place I'm thinking of setting it up is against a wall that goes all the way down the house, I'm pretty sure it's a load bearing wall.

F

fishhugger

There's a lot more to consider before anyone could make any suggestions, such as:
What is the length of the tank?
How many floor joists will it cross?
What are the size of the floor joists and the spacing between them?
The list goes on and on. I am by absolutely NOOO stretch of the imagination an architect, but more information would be needed for one to answer your question.

noobzilla

@ FishHugger- No clue on the spacing or the floor joists, and it's a pretty standard size 150g 72"x18"x24" if I remember right.

bang guy

Ensure your joists are 14 - 16" apart. If so, there is no worry at all if your tank is perpendicular to the joists. I believe yours should be 16".
If you need to go parallel then it depends on the span and for that you need a professional opinion.

noobzilla

Thanks Bang! I'll have to pull up some carpet and get out the stud finder this week when I have a chance.