Any Crafters Out There?

rlablan

I am curious to know if there is anyone out there who is crafty like me.
I have a "Craft Cave" or what I refer to as "The Studio" in my house and I make all kinds of nonsense in there.
I know we are all Hobbiest of the saltwater kind but what other hobbies so you enjoy? Sewing? Scrapbooking? Pottery? But
I want this thread to be ongoing and a place for any crafters to be able to share creations!
Remember...
THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!!!! WE WANT TO SEE YOUR TALENTS!

I will start. I make a lot of things, most centered around a holiday of some sort. I make:
- wine cork ornaments
- christmas cards
- Birthday cards
- Decorative wine stoppers
- Decorative paper banners
- Painting ceramics
- cross stitch ornaments
- simple sewing crafts
I also like to do a lot of DIY around the house including redoing old furniture and salvaging things and turning them into other things :) I'm excited to see what you all have to show us! Hopefully we can all bounce ideas off each other and offer constructive criticism.
Here are some of my Christmas cards that I've been working on.
I really want to know what you like or dislike about these, what you think is spot on, what you think should be altered or changed about the designs. feedback is important to me. I'll do the same for you :)

href="https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/data/c/ca/caab1de7_IMG_6770.jpeg

This is a small selection. I'll post more of those later.
Here is a Deco wine stopper for halloween that I just made a few weeks ago.

These are some store bought chip board letters that I was experimenting with. I am really pleased with how these turned out and it was actually really easy to do. Costs about 9 bucks and I think they'll be a fun craft for anyone. I plan on making some "Thankful" or some "merry" ones later on.

ttp://forums.saltwaterfish.com/content/type/61/id/315720/" />

A couple of Birthday cards and another Christmas card design from this week and last week.
I am especially interested in what people have to say about these bday cards. I will be the first to say I don't know anything about stamping or card making. I just started doing it and it's been really fun. I don't know any of the "rules" so if I'm not adhering to something I should be, please say so.
I have also never done a Bday card... what do you think of the layout... does it seem balanced to you? appealing to the eye? These pictures aren't the best, just phone pics.

These are two cheapy candlesticks that i've had forever. Got them at tuesday morning or home goods... somewhere cheap. I bought two styrofoam cones at the craft store and then some moss on a sheet. simple. :) they shed a little but I love the feel of them. They're traditional and modern all at once.

rlablan

These are a few halloween display plates that I painted and then fired at a local pottery place. They turned out lovely and I like the silly look of them. I don't do scary halloween...

This is a hair piece that I made out of a plastic "sticker" and the two "wings" are actually old cheap earring that I never wore. I added all this stuff to a barette, embellished it, and made a hairpiece that I am in LOVE with! Oh SoOoOoOo quirky :)

rlablan

Show me what you're working with!! (or on)

Don't forget... Men can be crafty too. No judgement here.

dragonzim

Nice stuff! I brew beer and wine and dabble in leatherwork and I love to cook and have been scratching the surface of getting into competitive BBQ.. My wife is an avid baker and make some ridiculous cakes.
My 2 1/2 year old twins keep us from doing a whole lot with our hobbies these days though.

rlablan

flower, I would love to see your stuff. What did you work on?
Everyone I know says "you're gonna have arthritis due to all the detailed work you do."
I figure it's coming anyway, so I might as well do what I want to do now, because I'll get older and i'll just have to find another hobby.
Dragon- Competitive BBQing huh? Sounds interesting... Are their food fights? If no, it's not competitive enough

You should find some crafts to do with your kiddos. Kids don't get art in school. People my age are one of the last groups to get art and music... If i didn't have that, I wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING that I can do. KIDS NEED ART!!
There are so many fun things though, and the younger you start, they better their motor skills and creativity get. There are also studies around that talk about learning ability increasing, due to crafts and learning how to do crafts.
What leather work?
PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE

rlablan

I'll agree. It's still art. I didn't know that you did that for a living. We were friends until I saw the ducks. I love ducks.

I worked for a tank cleaning company for a short time. I ended up with a client who had a lotttttt of money and a HUGE house. Oddly enough, they had the most plain, ugliest, cheap looking tank. While it was build it, it was such old technology from like the 80s (even though it was brand new) and it only had 15 jewel damsels. hahahahahahaha such a colossal waste of space, and money. (They were totally taken for a ride). Anyhow, upon walking into their living room and wet bar area where the tank was, I am faced with a HUGE room with 40 foot ceilings. There are "shelves" all the way up and there are FULL SIZED HUGE ANIMALS that They shouldn't have even had (IMO).
The owner of the house was apparently a super sadistic hunter and he would pay to hunt indangered species. In this room he had ONLY full animals that he had kills including a large female giraffe and her baby, a zebra, a polar bear, a grizzly bear, a full grown male lion, a few cubs, some panthers, crocs, cheetas, even some little guys like koalas, and meerkats... hogs and such. I have never seen so many animals and never been so creeped out. There was a bathroom there that was "wallpapered" in baby cheeta skins that he had killed. He also had a hall of fame with pictures of him next to every kill. There were atleast 500 animals in this house. I would assume that taxidermy is really expensive... so that only adds to it. He was telling me that he and his wife would fly to the congo or the sahara and whatever and pay terrible people to help him poach these animals. And he was proud. I support hunting but not for sport of wanting to kill and use the animals purely as trophies. Makes me sad :(
But anyway, I thought you might find that interesting. I wonder if you have any clients like that... people who have their house filled to the brim with stuff like that? Maybe you do. lol

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlablan http:///t/392611/any-crafters-out-there#post_3487512
I'll agree. It's still art. I didn't know that you did that for a living. We were friends until I saw the ducks. I love ducks.

I worked for a tank cleaning company for a short time. I ended up with a client who had a lotttttt of money and a HUGE house. Oddly enough, they had the most plain, ugliest, cheap looking tank. While it was build it, it was such old technology from like the 80s (even though it was brand new) and it only had 15 jewel damsels. hahahahahahaha such a colossal waste of space, and money. (They were totally taken for a ride). Anyhow, upon walking into their living room and wet bar area where the tank was, I am faced with a HUGE room with 40 foot ceilings. There are "shelves" all the way up and there are FULL SIZED HUGE ANIMALS that They shouldn't have even had (IMO).
The owner of the house was apparently a super sadistic hunter and he would pay to hunt indangered species. In this room he had ONLY full animals that he had kills including a large female giraffe and her baby, a zebra, a polar bear, a grizzly bear, a full grown male lion, a few cubs, some panthers, crocs, cheetas, even some little guys like koalas, and meerkats... hogs and such. I have never seen so many animals and never been so creeped out. There was a bathroom there that was "wallpapered" in baby cheeta skins that he had killed. He also had a hall of fame with pictures of him next to every kill. There were atleast 500 animals in this house. I would assume that taxidermy is really expensive... so that only adds to it. He was telling me that he and his wife would fly to the congo or the sahara and whatever and pay terrible people to help him poach these animals. And he was proud. I support hunting but not for sport of wanting to kill and use the animals purely as trophies. Makes me sad :(
But anyway, I thought you might find that interesting. I wonder if you have any clients like that... people who have their house filled to the brim with stuff like that? Maybe you do. lol
those are the kind of people that pay my bills.

rlablan

hahahah I wondered if you'd say that.
Don't get me wrong... I just don't agree with the illegal aspects of what he's doing. Otherwise... whatever. I just don't think he needs endangered trophies.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlablan http:///t/392611/any-crafters-out-there#post_3487506
Everyone I know says "you're gonna have arthritis due to all the detailed work you do."
I figure it's coming anyway, so I might as well do what I want to do now, because I'll get older and i'll just have to find another hobby.
No truer words were ever spoken...I will have to dig out some pieces to photograph and since that requires some effort...LOL, I may or may not post them my energy level is at 0 in high gear...

snakeblitz33

Actually, taxidermist can not mount illegal animals. Everythig has to be tagged, and permits signed. Animals overseas have to not only have permits, but also has to pass through customs. Nothing illegal about it. Now, do i agree with real baby cheetah wallpaper? No.

darthtang aw

You need a better processor. And more RAM
traveler(2.2 GHz dual processor and 4GB RAM, oh yeah)jp98
I have all that.
Darth (Just really impatient) Tang

snakeblitz33

Yeah, that's what I have too... and it didn't have any kind of load time for me. You might need to contact your ISP and make sure you are getting the speed you are paying for. Those people at my ISP were jipping me half my speed and still charging me for all of it. So, I put an end to that!!!
Now back to the thread...

travelerjp98

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/392611/any-crafters-out-there#post_3487533
Yeah, that's what I have too... and it didn't have any kind of load time for me. You might need to contact your ISP and make sure you are getting the speed you are paying for. Those people at my ISP were jipping me half my speed and still charging me for all of it. So, I put an end to that!!!
Now back to the thread...
Yup, I also have absolutely no load time for this thread.

darthtang aw

That is all fine and dandy. But what about those people checking the forum from their iphone.
Darth (looking out for the little guy) Tang

dragonzim

Dragon- Competitive BBQing huh? Sounds interesting... Are their food fights? If no, it's not competitive enough :rotfl:
You should find some crafts to do with your kiddos. Kids don't get art in school. People my age are one of the last groups to get art and music... If i didn't have that, I wouldn't be able to do ANYTHING that I can do. KIDS NEED ART!!
There are so many fun things though, and the younger you start, they better their motor skills and creativity get. There are also studies around that talk about learning ability increasing, due to crafts and learning how to do crafts. 
What leather work? 
PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE :))):
I'll have to get some pics. I've done a few belts, knife and sword sheaths, wallets and other small stuff like that. Kids around here still have art and music in school starting in first grade all the way through senior year if they choose to continue. Comes with having ridiculously high taxes!