Any Flounder fans in the house? Videos Inside

Hey guys
So ever since I was a kid, I would go Flounder fishing quite a bit. I have caught hundreds. I always liked flounder bec they are such a unique fish. So when I started this hobby, I knew I wanted a flounder along the way. About three years ago, I bought a Peacock flounder and I loved it. He was very active and ate very easily. I didnt have to use live foods in order for him to be interested. Simply put a piece of shrimp on a feeding stick and he will just chomp it off. It died due to equipment malfunction.
Now I know flounder and reef tanks or any tank with small fish dont mix. So I have a 55g flounder only tank. They are currently in a 10g QT. I am going to upgrade to a 48x48x10 tank when they get bigger. I got these two flounder about a week ago. They are carribean peacock flounder (bothus lunatus). I just wanted to show a couple youtube videos of me feeding them this morning. They get very excited when I approach the tank as they know food is on the way.
The big one is about 4.5" and the small one is about 2.5"
Enjoy

meowzer

Actually they were pretty neat...sorry...I never noticed the thread before......I didn't even see 2 at first...LOL....they blend in really well with the sand
how big do they get???

Actually these will get any where between 12-18". Big I know. They are in a designated "Flounder aquarium". It will take about 5 years for them to get that big. They are just a lot of fun. They do not get the recognition like most fish do but they have a ton of personality.
They are ambush predators and that makes it very interesting whenever I feed them. Their diet varys between live food (feeder shrimp) and frozen (shrimp and squid). I am going to make another video of them ambushing their prey (feeder shrimp).
Meowzer...I like to think I am my own marine biologist. My basement looks like a marine biological labratory.

novahobbies

Very cool fish! Boy, that big one tends to get a bit excited, eh?
I've never really thought of keeping one (reef tank fan here) but boy do they taste good....have caught plenty out here on the beach and in the river. Man...now you've got me hungry!

sweatervest13

Cool fish and cool video.
I take it that they do not need or like any rock in the tank?? What other ways is a "flounder only" tank different? What kind of filtration do you need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by novahobbies http:///t/391420/any-flounder-fans-in-the-house-videos-inside#post_3471966
Very cool fish! Boy, that big one tends to get a bit excited, eh?
I've never really thought of keeping one (reef tank fan here) but boy do they taste good....have caught plenty out here on the beach and in the river. Man...now you've got me hungry!
LOL
I hear ya. I love to eat flounder. I catch them in the surf like its going out of style. I am reef guy myself but I somehow find Flounder to be such a unique and amazing fish. I have bought several flounder before but I get a very undesired species that does not eat well in captive conditions. My guys are easier to feed than or I should say more aggressive to feed that any other fish I have.
They have a ton of personality. They follow me up and down the tank and pray I have some food for them lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatervest13 http:///t/391420/any-flounder-fans-in-the-house-videos-inside#post_3471970
Cool fish and cool video.
I take it that they do not need or like any rock in the tank?? What other ways is a "flounder only" tank different? What kind of filtration do you need?
Yeah. At the moment I do not have any rock. I am building a tank specifically for the flounder. 48"Lx48"Wx10"H. I run a skimmer and carbon only plus weekly water changes.
I will add a few pieces of LR for this tank but it will mostly be sand. They are really fun to observe.
I am going to add some more videos tonight. I have a bunch of live shrimp I am going to feed.