Any good LFS in North miami/ft lauderdale

novahobbies

It might be a little north of where you want to be, but there's Exotic Aquatic on Sunrise Blvd just east of I95, then there's my favorite shop in Boca Raton, Barrier Reef on Boca Raton Blvd off of Glades Rd...again, east of 95. Both shops are good, knowledgable staff, and pretty friendly. Both are also kind of hole-in-the-wall places, but worth the trip!

Barrier Reef went downhill on their livestock as of late. The staff isn't as knowledgable as they used to be. They have more to offer in the aspect of dry goods lately for they are slowly taking up the whole corner of the building. If you get there on a sale day, it's worth the trip for the dry goods. As I said though, their livestock and coral selection has dramatically declined from what it used to be, so don't make the trip expecting to see anything special. (For the record, I got saltwater from them last time I was there and ended up with flatworms amongst some other parasites.)
Exotic Aquatics is a nice store, but they have limited stock to chose from.
Big Al's is on University and McNabb road. Once you walk in, you'll think you're in Atlantis.
Atlantic Avenue just East of US1 is a little hole in the wall called Eco Reef. Not the greatest place and there are some things I didn't like seeing, but the guy knows his junk and has a few deals.
My co-workers friend just opened a place on 441 and the McNab Rd. area. I haven't seen it myself yet, but he has some awesome deals on corals. I'll be going there to stock my 75gal. reef. I'll get the name for yas posted when I get out of work.
There is a small place on Dixie and Commercial, Can't remember the name, but it was usualy closed when I was down there. Looked in the door and they seemed to have a few nice things.
There are a few others, I just can't think of them this early in the morning..ha ha

novahobbies

Hmm, not sure I fully agree with the review of Barrier....like I said, I've never had any problems from them. I get my salt and RODI water from them exclusively, never had a problem. Have you been there lately?
And Big Al's? That place is like the wal-mart of the aquarium world....it's huge, and yes the place is VERY pretty with those huge display tanks, but the prices are outrageous for fish and corals, and most of the staff are just so-so when it comes to personal experience with the animals. Coral prices in particular were terrible last time I was there......there was a two-head torch they wanted to sell for $75.00, for instance, and $50 zoo frags that only had 3-4 polyps!
Not tryin' to disagree, just sayin' is all.

Never been to Eco Reef...in fact never heard of that one. I'm really interested in the place on 441 and Mcnab you're talking about.....hope you can get us the name! I smell a store trip this weekend!!!

spiderwoman

I love seeing you guys talk about the different locations in your area. I used to vacation in that area when I still lived in Finland. My parents spent their whole winter there and I'd fly in 2-3 times a year just to shop :) I'm familiar with all of those locations.
Sorry this post was not helpful to any of you, you guys just brought good memories back to me :)

aquaknight

I think Barrier Reef is bi-polar. I get completely different experiences each time I go there. Some times they are absoluetly amazing with the pricing and appearance of fish. Lamarck angels for $19.99, Leopard wrasses for 9.99, purple/powder tangs for $59.99, singapore angels for 9.99, and have absouletly all their holding tanks filled. Other times all they had were lyretail anthias and sickly yellow tangs and a huge Blueface Angel for $250. Go to Exotic Aquatic everytime I'm home too.
Two more you guys left out is Pets Unlimited, up in Coral Springs, and Beverly's Pet Center down in Pembroke Pines. They both used to be Beverlys, but they sold the Coral Springs location and it's now Pets Unlimited supposedly under new ownership. Although its virtually unchanged and they seem to get the same types of fish still. However, that's not a bad thing, and they get some cool stuff from time to time.

Pet's unlimited isn't really all that great. The dry-good side is so-so they do offer some nice stuff and I bought my skimmer there, but it's not an exclusive LFS. It's more of a chain of stores, because there is one on US1 in Pompano just North of 64th street. (between Atlantic & McNabb)
Nova,
Yes, BA's is expencive You are right. Although I did go in for chaeto and they said there was none left, as I glanced over at a whole tank filled.
Barrier Reef used to be my home away from home. When I first started the hobby that was the place to go. When they sold that 500gal DT to a restaurant things kind of changed IMO. I got my SW there a few weeks ago when they had their sidewalk sale. Just happened to need water on the right day..ha ha
I'll still get dry-goods there, but the livestock seems to be slacking from years past and the staff obviously aren't the brightest bulbs in the bunch with exception to the owners daughter. For example, I bought a nice Red Plume Rock (Feather duster cluster) from them 2 months ago. Allowed it to acclimate for well over 3 hours only for it to re-cycle my tank in a major way. I mean readings were off the charts. I went there and the kid who sold it to me wanted to argue that it wasn't the cluster that cycled my tank. When the cluster was finally dissected, there were mollusks, clams, etc.. that had been burried deep in the tubes that had obviously died a prior to my getting it. They still wanted to argue that the cluster wasn't the problem.
Now I asked about a 5-6" clown trigger they had, and told them 5 times I had a 36gal. tank. They continued to say 36gal. was suffiecent enough for the trigger. I looked at the wife and said "I hope he's not serious!"
OK Barrier Reef is a good place, but their staff is the biggest downfall. I'm going to need more water soon and I will be there looking at the coral as always. I may buy something too.
The one on 441 & McNabb...
I asked my friend the name of the store, but he forgot, so I'll find out. I have to make a trip that way myself. If you find it first, let me know. I hear the prices are well worth the ride.

paintballer768

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2751158
I think Barrier Reef is bi-polar. I get completely different experiences each time I go there. Some times they are absoluetly amazing with the pricing and appearance of fish. Lamarck angels for $19.99, Leopard wrasses for 9.99, purple/powder tangs for $59.99, singapore angels for 9.99, and have absouletly all their holding tanks filled. Other times all they had were lyretail anthias and sickly yellow tangs and a huge Blueface Angel for $250. Go to Exotic Aquatic everytime I'm home too.
Two more you guys left out is Pets Unlimited, up in Coral Springs, and Beverly's Pet Center down in Pembroke Pines. They both used to be Beverlys, but they sold the Coral Springs location and it's now Pets Unlimited supposedly under new ownership. Although its virtually unchanged and they seem to get the same types of fish still. However, that's not a bad thing, and they get some cool stuff from time to time.
Barrier Reef is right next to FAU, so naturally when I get off classes, I usuall head over there to see what goodies they have, if any. Right now they have ORA Verde Acro, Plum Crazy, and another I forget. The staff honestly isnt all that knowledgable when you cross reference it with online, but still they are ok. Prices can be whack alot of times. In Robins tank (the big one at the door), they got a few nice acans in there that are maybe 10-20 polyps for like $80-100. I get my water exclusively from there as well.
Big Al's is AMAZING, for fish and equipment. Corals, not so much. The prices are great on corals but the selection really isnt all there.

Oh there's more. I just have to remember where they are..lol
Is Fin's, Fur's & Feathers still in Boca off 20th and US1? I haven't been that way in a long time.

novahobbies

Originally Posted by paintballer768
http:///forum/post/2751559
Barrier Reef is right next to FAU, so naturally when I get off classes, I usuall head over there to see what goodies they have, if any. Right now they have ORA Verde Acro, Plum Crazy, and another I forget. The staff honestly isnt all that knowledgable when you cross reference it with online, but still they are ok. Prices can be whack alot of times. In Robins tank (the big one at the door), they got a few nice acans in there that are maybe 10-20 polyps for like $80-100. I get my water exclusively from there as well.
Big Al's is AMAZING, for fish and equipment. Corals, not so much. The prices are great on corals but the selection really isnt all there.
LOL this is too funny! I go to FAU as well (yes, I'm a 32 year old student, sue me!
) and I do the exact same thing. Last semester I spent my time in between finals over there. It's sort of a de-stresser. I find it's easier to just talk with one or two people when I'm there....Robin is nice, even though he's little hyper, the 40-something blonde woman who drives the "Save a horse, ride a cowboy" truck is pretty knowledgable, and the young girl (I'm terrible with names!) seems to also know her stuff. There's a couple of men there, who...well......seem a little standoffish, and maybe a little less knowledgable. Maybe I just prefer talking to the girls.
Bit seriously, anyone who said a trigger would do fine in a 36 gallon.....jeez!
Exotic Aquatic has a guy who floored me back when I finally went to get my yellow reidis. He wanted to know what size tank, what temp, how long it had been up, what else was in the tank, and what my future plans were for it. This was all BEFORE he put his hand in the water. THAT is a good employee, IMO. He was definitely more interested in making sure the environment was good rather than making a sale.
I still go to Big Al's for equipment. I bought my 110 gallon and the 29 gallon sump from them when I converted my reef, and they gave it to me for the last sale price, even though there wasn't a sale at the time. But honestly I've never had good luck with their livestock, coral, animal, or otherwise. I purchased a dragonet from them who I think was cyanide caught...he was brighter than the others, but lethargic, and died in QT the following day. Nope, no refund, even though I mentioned the suspected cyanide poisoning.
Of course all this is just one person's lowly opinion...your milage will no doubt vary. I'm goin' hunting for that shop on Mcnab and 441 this weekend, though! That should be REALLY close to Big Al's, come to think of it.

nofish

441 and orange...reef edge.. nice place, strling and 95.. coral farm. a little high price but the guy grow most stuff in his own tanks. just my .02