Any of you guys sign the declaration for the ONE org.?

nemo lover

Just kind of curious on how many people on our boards signed the declaration?If not... I highly incourage you to do so. I was almost in tears when I seen the live8 play, and by the wonderful speech Wll Smith gave. Every three seconds some dies in africa, because of extreme poverty.No food, drugs, health care, or education. They did a wonderful job of makin people more aware. I hope the G8 does their part and does it right this time.

jer4916

i signed the one campain thing...and they wont stop sending me emails...even after i unsubscribe...flip'n rediculous

tangman99

Originally Posted by Jer4916
i signed the one campain thing...and they wont stop sending me emails...even after i unsubscribe...flip'n rediculous
That's why I quit giving to charities directly. I gave a contribution to the Red Cross after 9/11 and within 2 weeks they sent me a letter asking for more. If I was going to give more, I probably would have gave it when I made my first donation. I only donate now through the United Way which is another story in itself.

reefraff

Just throw them more money, the thugs and warlords who are allowed to run the majority of the continent need more mercedes and yachts.

nemo lover

I signed and have not recieved one email.
Thier not asking for money just a signature.That why they are going to give it in grants this time, and hopefully stop all the madness thier.

ericp2311

Originally Posted by reefraff
Just throw them more money, the thugs and warlords who are allowed to run the majority of the continent need more mercedes and yachts.
Are you kidding?
Please tell me you're kidding...?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think he is kidding. Why do you think Africia is in such a sorry state? The "politics" of many countries leave much to be desired and amount to little more than gangsters. Also, some countries REFUSED USA food because it is genetically engineered!
http://www.manythings.org/voa/02/020917ar_t.htm
I agree we need to help, everyone in modern world has to do their part, but something also needs to be done about the lawlessness of many countries in Africia. There is a reason why disease and hunger is so prelevant on this continent.

tangman99

The minute Africa becomes a major oil field, we will acknowledge the wrongs there and rush right in to save them.

boom215

i was at the concert in philly.... it was nutz....people were passing out left and right, right in front of me. Will smith did give a good speech. that concert was awsome.

nemo lover

I agree with all of your coments. Something more needs to be done. But its got to start some where. By any chance did any of you guys see the documentary that chick reporter did from National Geographic last year her name was "Lisa" forgot her last name she used to be on THE VIEW. They also had a special on Ophra about it.
Its said these "Gorillas" ravish these family when ever they feel like it. Sometimes taking the woman and little girls with them in to the jungle for pure pleasure, or just taking them in front of there fanily. They beat the husbands and sons, make them watch. Sometimes cut off limbs, Spread disease, etc. I just really can't see us (The World) turning our back forever.
reefraff- I do understand where your coming from. But Don't you think they already thought about this? I'm sure they have plans to make a change/it work. Without the whole world stepping in, and voiceing our opinion. Its like were saying its ok for them to treat humans this way. Just because you don't see it everyday doesn't mean its not there.
boom- You Rock, I seen that on the news. It was a hot day.

reefraff

What plan for change? All I see is give us more. Lets insist they become responsible with what they get now before sending more. Watch and see, there will be people screaming about all the names on the petition demanding more aid and not one single word about reform.

nemo lover

As far as I have read. I do think they are suggesting giving help in grants, for things like schools, internet, farming, clothing, medical, inport/export, and a couple other I can't seem to remember. There is A big problem over thier. That can't be questioned. What do you suggest? We ignore it? just because we don't see it, and it doesnt affect us directly just let them live that life. While were here with two and three cars, beautiful healthy children, A big percent of our population over weight, extra money we practically throw away every day, some of us where three outfits a day, and own a closet full of shoes. Don't get me wrong I am no saint, and I am far from rich. I just think it sucks these people are born in to such poverty with barely a chance on life. But If they do set ground, step in, and make sure they spend their money the right way, educate, and help the medically needy. Maybe they'll have a better chance, and if all it takes is us signing a paper to help the world leaders see how much we care and that we want to see change. Then im all for it.

darth tang

Originally Posted by TangMan99
The minute Africa becomes a major oil field, we will acknowledge the wrongs there and rush right in to save them.
I grow tired of statements such as this.
It paints a picture that people and this country only care about what will benefit themselves by interveneing with some form of action. And to be honest with you, if resources dictate where our help goes I would think Africa would be pretty high. There is oil, there are also Diamonds and Gold. Add into the fact that a stable and prosperous Africa would make a great vacation spot for some resorts with the safari and Jungles.
The main problem is those governments aren't truly concerned for their own people. By being "weak" and unstable it gives them a legit reason to have their hand out. The majority of the money we send to countries as aid never even sees it's way to the people.

ericp2311

Originally Posted by nemo lover
Thats true. My Question, Is that reason enough to quit helping? Or more reason to try harder?
More reason to try harder!!
Greed and selfishness are, apparantly, very easily justified...
Eric

tangman99

Originally Posted by Darth Tang
I grow tired of statements such as this.
Sorry dude, but it's a view I think more people share than discount. Don't forget, I'm a die-hard republican that supports Bush and the Iraq war so it's not coming from a democrat bashing policy and let's just leave it at that so as not to take away from the point of the thread and turn this into another fruitless political debate.
Anyway, I saw a special once on one of the weekly TV shows about the food we sent to one of the countries in Africa. It showed a warehouse full of USA Stamped bags that were being eaten by rodents and militiamen while thousands of people were only a few hundred yards away starving and not getting any. The were just letting them starve to death.
Now if the world wants to group together as a whole and do something about it because it is the right thing to do, then I'm 100% for it. But if they just want us to do everything and foot the whole bill in the process, then that is just not right. We have millions of people living in poverty in our own country. We are not all driving 3 cars and getting fat.

nemo lover

yes it would be a world wide effort, the G8 are some of the most powerful leaders from US, United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Canada, and Russia.
lol. I'm not driving three cars either, nor am I fat, but I am definately not starving. I am borderline between middle class on low class income. I for one struggle everyday, to pay bills, help my medically needy child get the health care she needs. But goodness we still live 100 times better than them.

darth tang

Originally Posted by TangMan99
Sorry dude, but it's a view I think more people share than discount. Don't forget, I'm a die-hard republican that supports Bush and the Iraq war so it's not coming from a democrat bashing policy and let's just leave it at that so as not to take away from the point of the thread and turn this into another fruitless political debate.
Anyway, I saw a special once on one of the weekly TV shows about the food we sent to one of the countries in Africa. It showed a warehouse full of USA Stamped bags that were being eaten by rodents and militiamen while thousands of people were only a few hundred yards away starving and not getting any. The were just letting them starve to death.
Now if the world wants to group together as a whole and do something about it because it is the right thing to do, then I'm 100% for it. But if they just want us to do everything and foot the whole bill in the process, then that is just not right. We have millions of people living in poverty in our own country. We are not all driving 3 cars and getting fat.
My main issue is we give billions and either it does no good or the governments in control of distribution to the people do not distribute it. Myself personally, I would much rather give the money I donate for things like these, to local charities and organizations. I atleast know where and who it is going to and it will be used the right way and appreciated. Tsunami aid and that type of natural disastert aid I also have no problem with. But for decades Certain areas have been nothing but bottomless pits for money with no improvement on the quality of life.