any one got a tip for my salt?

dse

hi.
i have a 25kg x2 bucket 1 open 1 not.
as i know salt not opened does not clump. but the ones that do are clumped...
anyway my question to this is how do you keep this from clumping as i don't want any build up of phos i'm having to remove perhaps 1-2 clumps every few days.
it's also got an air tight fit that requires an hammer to bash to open.
but every few days i open it has 1-2 clump's.
also i put in an "Lime desiccant on top of the lid for it to soak up any condensation or any other form.
just a bit stressfull as you know salt don't come cheap.

perfectdark

I hear that... I too am anxious to hear what others have done to prevent the humidity from affecting their salt.

reefkprz

place a pouch full of dry white rice (in a nylon sock) on a dish inside the bucket of salt (high sided tupperware without a lid on it) the dish will prevent rice dust contamination and the sock will keep the big pieces together in case you tip the dish accidently) this will absorb excess humidity from clumping your salt.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by reefkprZ
http:///forum/post/2778240
place a pouch full of dry white rice (in a nylon sock) on a dish inside the bucket of salt (high sided tupperware without a lid on it) the dish will prevent rice dust contamination and the sock will keep the big pieces together in case you tip the dish accidently) this will absorb excess humidity from clumping your salt.
Damn you reefkpr I was just gonna post back with that... I was looking online and read in a number of instances this is a definate fix. Good lookin out LOL...

dse

cheers reef and pd.
should i do this to the non opened one aswell just in case??

S

suv

Originally Posted by dse
http:///forum/post/2778270
cheers reef and pd.
should i do this to the non opened one aswell just in case??
I have seen the non-opened buckets sit for six months and not clump, Iwouldnt wory about it.

perfectdark

From what I have read, exposure to moisture can pull out minerals/trace elements from your salt. Also some of the salt ions hydrate from the moisture in the air and when they are mixed into the water they do not mix into solution. When my salt clumps I notice a lot more sediment at the bottom of my mixing container than when its not.

sueandherzoo

OK, thanks. I was wondering if there was yet one MORE thing I needed to stress over. This issue sounds relatively easy to remedy and hopefully not deadly if I'm careless about it.
Sue

perfectdark

Originally Posted by SueAndHerZoo
http:///forum/post/2779718
OK, thanks. I was wondering if there was yet one MORE thing I needed to stress over. This issue sounds relatively easy to remedy and hopefully not deadly if I'm careless about it.
Sue
I dont think there is anything deadly about it, (of course that depends on how long and how much we are talking about) all in all depending on how much exposure to humidity, how much salt is clumped and for how long would prob dictate the amount of depleted trace elements and salt ions are removed from solution. I would assume you would see a drop in calc and mag levels along with any other trace elements you test for. As for what would go first second and third... I have no idea I am by far not a chemist, LOL. I would think a bucket of salt sitting for 8 months hardened through would def be lacking in some of those trace elements. Just an assumption.

dse

clumped= phos! i hate phos! we all hate phos! you hate it too!

i just need a way to stop the stuff clumping.