any shark in a 150 gallon tank?

i love sharks. ive had reefs and ive read alot about sharks but i never get a clear answer on a tank size for the minimum size. like fora bamboo shark. or any. could i keep any shark in a 150 gallon?

srfisher17

Originally Posted by justinwwwallin
http:///forum/post/2706971
i love sharks. ive had reefs and ive read alot about sharks but i never get a clear answer on a tank size for the minimum size. like fora bamboo shark. or any. could i keep any shark in a 150 gallon?
I've never kept a shark; but based on everything I've read, I think a 150 is way too small. Sharks also require extreme filtration and skimming and are extremely hard to keep. I would consider them in the "expert only" category.

T

tangofish

I think MINIMUN tank size to have an specific shark that I dont even remember the name, is 300g. But for sure some experts will answer better to your question...

srfisher17

Again, i've never kept sharks; but Bob Fenner says they are great jumpers. This may make a kiddie pool tough. How to keep the shark in while still being able to see him. Razor wire maybe? Just kidding, of course, i hope you can find a way to make it work.

triga22

I wouldn't put any shark of any size in a 150. Sharks need tanks that have the available space for them to turn around the sides with no problem and also long or round tanks.

aquaknight

Originally Posted by justinwwwallin
http:///forum/post/2707633
well.. i have a 150 8 foot long tank with lids.
As TriGa said, it's not soo much the length, but both the width and length. Sharks need something at the bare minimum
twice their max for tank length, and something a bit bigger then their max size for tank width. The catch is when you start increasing tank width, the volume amount starts to sky rocket. For a bamboo or Horn Shark that reachs 4', you''ll need a 8'x4' tank, which is about 480gals depending on height.
The smallest commonly available shark is the Coral Cat Shark (Atelomycterus marmoratus
) which only gets 28". A 6'x30" deep tank will work for them.

well im not planning on keeping it till its an adult.
im planning on hatching it from an egg cuz they cant grow that fast can they?