any tangs for a 55g

puffer9006

i like tangs and would like to get one but i think my tank is to small. is thier any out thier that would do good 55g. really like the achilies tang but thiers no way im trying that in a 55g.
if your wondering my tank is 4ft long

emperor11

IMO, no tang is really suitable for a 55g. A Kole or a Yellow COULD be done, but it would be very jumpy. Plus, whenever you go on the bare minimum for anything, one screw up, and its over. Have you considered the dwarf angels (Centropyge sp.)? I personally think they are much more attractive, and they stay smaller. But, then again, I'm the angel freak...

emperor11

Not to hijack the thread, but Treybom, if you want me to get online, then I'd assume you'd be on as well??

treybom

well u could put a yellow tang in there as long as there arent many other fish in there... its been done before and will continue to be done

N

nereef

# of fish isn't the point. the point is swimming space causing disuse atrophy, among other things.

connor

Originally Posted by NEreef
# of fish isn't the point. the point is swimming space causing disuse atrophy, among other things.
thank you!! at least someone has some common sense
if i put you in a closet alone or with one other person its STILL goin to be uncomfortable!

treybom

ok well it has been done.... i think people are just over reacting about the tang thing... ok the yellow tang is one of the smallest, and least amount of space requirements of the tang family

treybom

Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons <<<< that is what it says on countless sites... i know those arent always right but yellow tangs are fine in a 55, they wont thrive but they wont suffer either

zanoshanox

A yellow will be fine i think as long as you buy it small...A fish will somewhat grow depending on their surroundings and conditions...

alyssia

Originally Posted by zanoshanox
A yellow will be fine i think as long as you buy it small...A fish will somewhat grow depending on their surroundings and conditions...

Their was a big debate about that on here not too long ago. FW fish grow to their surroundings but not SW.

sharkbait9

Originally Posted by connor
thank you!! at least someone has some common sense
if i put you in a closet alone or with one other person its STILL going to be uncomfortable!

oh for the love of god you want a tang, get a tang. i have a yellow tang in my 55 and a million other people have tangs in a 55 gal. When it gets bigger.............. yup you got it a new tank or give it to a person with a bigger tang. At least you will have gotten a chance to ENJOY A TANG IN 55 GALLON TANK. as to the quotes, with that mentality why do you even have a tank, a dog, a cat, or any other animal at all

sula

Originally Posted by treybom
Minimum Tank Size: 50 gallons <<<< that is what it says on countless sites... i know those arent always right but yellow tangs are fine in a 55, they wont thrive but they wont suffer either
I believe many of those same sites list 30 gallons as the minimum size tank for a mandarin. Same issue - will it survive? Yes, for a while. But thrive and live a long life?Much less likely.

treybom

Originally Posted by Sula
I believe many of those same sites list 30 gallons as the minimum size tank for a mandarin. Same issue - will it survive? Yes, for a while. But thrive and live a long life?Much less likely.
that is why i said after... that those are rarely ever right and it will not thrive but it will survive
so puffer, go ahead and get a tang!

yimmy

I say go for a kole tang. A yellow people have done it but it's kind of pushing it. A kole tang isn't an open swimming tang and doesn't sprint across the the tank. Thats what I would go for. Then again so many people have kept them in 55s. People are not laid back on tangs though. People get more mad when they see a sohal tang in a 125 then when they see a SHARK in their. I think go for it but you may have to move it out to a different tank when it's older

R

reef33

Freshwater fish DO NOT GROW to their surroundings they outgrow them....... I had two Oscars in a 55 they were a foot long each before they got traded.

salty tank

Id say buy the smallest yellow tang in the store. I have a 65 gal with a yellow tank that isnt too big and he does great. Then again my tank is 2 feet high so that may be why