Any truth to this?

bettym

I have been told that if you get a puffer fish and it die's that it will kill all of the other fish in the tank
.Is this true :notsure: ?I was told it releases all of it's poison's when it die's.I am wanting one really bad but I don't want to take that chance.If this is true can you put him in a 20gl by his self or with maybe 1 more type of fish? :help:

boalgf

No, they don't release toxins in to the tank when they die. They do have a poisonous organ in their body, but it is only lethal to an animal that eats the puffer. 30 gallons is the minimal recommended size for the smallest puffer (valentini). What type did you want to get?

S

surfinusa

you must be thinking of boxfish they let out a poison that will kill all of your fish in your tank puffer fish dont let out anything at all only if a fish was to eat one of its poisonous organs it would die

swlover

Puffers are really aggressive fish any way, I have seen them with angles and eels but thats about it. If you want a puffer that stays small and easy to keep go with the brackish water type puffers. (Of coarse you would have to set up a seprate tank) I had one for 6 years in a 20 gallon..the only reason he isn't still alive is my girlfriends little girl poured Kool aid in the tank and killed him
They even have really tiny ones now, about the size of a marble...they are really cute and REALLY aggressive..they can only be kept with their own kind. Mine was really tame let me feed him by hand and would even swirl around between my fingers when i cleaned his tank...but be warned they have teeth and will bite! I have a Ten gallon now with nothing in it and plan on getting a few of those little ones. I think they are cuter than saltwater puffers any way..but thats just my opinion. Good luck with what ever you decide!

bettym

Thank's everyone!!! I don't know what type I want.I seen one at ***** the other day and he was soooooo DARN cute I coudn't stand it!!!! He was soooo cute that it made me just wanna squezze his cheek's.I just fell head over heel's.I was so in awwww I forgot to to even see what type the lil guy was.Did I tell you how cute he was?LOL

swlover=could you post a pic of those lil freshwater puffer's for me?I would be intersted in those.TIA!!

swlover

Hummm I don't have any pics of mine, I had them years ago before digital cameras..but I did find some on the net. Talk about cute...check these guys out. Common name figue eight or spotted puffers, family Tetraodontigae. Last one is what they will do to goldfish...although i had mine in with a gold fish for years. I found in groups they are aggressive, but kept alone they are really not agressive at all. They don't get very big but what they have for personality they make up for in size! I don't know if you can acclimate them to salt water or not, seems you could since they live in brackish water.
I would just set up a small tank, min. tank size is 10 gallons for a pair. I will be getting some of those smaller ones, I have a 10 gallon thats not being used and every time I go to the LFS they call out, buy me, buy me!

J

jeps

Originally Posted by swlover
Hummm I don't have any pics of mine, I had them years ago before digital cameras..but I did find some on the net. Talk about cute...check these guys out. Common name figue eight or spotted puffers, family Tetraodontigae. Last one is what they will do to goldfish...although i had mine in with a gold fish for years. I found in groups they are aggressive, but kept alone they are really not agressive at all. They don't get very big but what they have for personality they make up for in size! I don't know if you can acclimate them to salt water or not, seems you could since they live in brackish water.
I would just set up a small tank, min. tank size is 10 gallons for a pair. I will be getting some of those smaller ones, I have a 10 gallon thats not being used and every time I go to the LFS they call out, buy me, buy me!
wow, those are really cool looking, do you know of any online stores that carry them (cos i don't remember seeing them in any of my LFS)? And sorry to sound like a total noob (cos i am), but what is brackish water?

bettym

Thank's everyone!!!!!!! I love all of this lil guy's.I guess I will be getting my a couple....lol. :cheer:

promisetbg

Originally Posted by jeps
wow, those are really cool looking, do you know of any online stores that carry them (cos i don't remember seeing them in any of my LFS)? And sorry to sound like a total noob (cos i am), but what is brackish water?
Ask your LFS to order you one...brackish water is slightly salty..about 1.005 to 1.10 depending on the species you want to keep. It is mostly found inland..where estuaries mix with saltwater from the ocean. The Baltic sea is brackish.
Many fish spawn there. There is alot of info on the net about it...including how to set up and care for brackish aquariums. Use your search engine.