Anybody have any tips for removing that annoying green algae you have to scrape off!!

C

countryfish

For about a year I have been scraping this green algae off from time to time with an old credit card or just those long scraper. Does anyone have any better ideas because my way always leaves some up there? Any advise would be helpful thanks!!

flower

Originally Posted by countryfish
http:///forum/post/3284019
For about a year I have been scraping this green algae off from time to time with an old credit card or just those long scraper. Does anyone have any better ideas because my way always leaves some up there? Any advise would be helpful thanks!!

Mag floats, they are as easy as using an eraser on a chalk board..Google it and see....

xcali1985

+1 i put filter floss inbetwen it. Of course on the inside. But it should help keep down any possible scratching which should be minimal to begin with. Also provides a media to remove the algae from the tank instead of releasing it back into the tank to break down and refuel. I also believe that this algae is a source of food for corals as when I didn't use the floss. My corals would extend feeder tentacles shortly after i cleaned the glass.

C

countryfish

I have a mag float, but it doesn't remove all the green stuck on algae so I use a credit card, but even that does not get it all. I'll try the filter floss thanks guys!

flower

Originally Posted by countryfish
http:///forum/post/3284446
I have a mag float, but it doesn't remove all the green stuck on algae so I use a credit card, but even that does not get it all. I'll try the filter floss thanks guys!

You can't let it build up on you, you have to stay on top of cleaning it off of the glass before the hard stage.

drsteve2001

Are u scrapping it off the front glass or the sides and back also....I thought I read the many of the people on here just clean front and sides and not the back. I have been letting the green algae build up on the back. Should I scrap it off the back of the glass also?

C

countryfish

I have just been scraping off the front and sides not really worring about the back too much. The build-up mainly comes right at the bottom by the substrate and right in the corners. I have an all glass aquarium so there is that glue in the corner and I'm always worried about messing it up that's why the build-up gets there and the bottom is because the substrate covered it at first and when I moved the substrate around I found it and now I can't get it all removed. Gonna be trying thefilter floos let you guy's know what happens!