Anybody use a TOM PS3

juice_1080

I was recommended by my LFS to use the TOM PS3 setup as a sump for a 75 gallon. This is a all inclusive setup with all pumps and media and a skimmer, hang on back overflow, plumbing and on the side you can hook up a line to go out to a fuge. I was just curious if anybody knew the pros and cons of using it. It's going to cost about $225 for me to pick one up and the only thing i need to setup a 10gallon fuge with it would be the LS and the hoses to run back and forth. It seems like a good deal since a skimmer alone would be $100+ plus the tank pump etc. I could see it be way more than $225

digitydash

Originally Posted by sign guy
I tried googling tom ps3 and cant find it. do you have a pic
Put tom ps3 overflow it comes up.
Juice it starts at $90 online if your going to buy it look around befor your LFS take your money

juice_1080

You should let me know where you found it for $90. Judging by the picture you posted I am looking at the same sight...If so then the overflow box alone is about $90 and the actual setup is $250. At my LFS its 300$ but I have a 25% discount thing that I can use on it bringing it to $225.
Does it look like its worth while to any of you? The guy at the LFS uses them for their 2 55 gallon Display Tanks. The plan is to attach a fuge to that output on the bottom by the skimmer

juice_1080

What do you mean reef ready....its not set up right now. I am going to be moving around May so thats when I plan to set it up. Right now I am just getting the supplies together ahead of time so I don't have to worry about them all right away. I am going to have corals and live rock if thats what you are asking.
This is what I plan on using:
75gallon tank
TOM PS3
10 gallon Refugium
2-250w MH
4-65w PC Actinics
2-3 powerheads (Koralia #1's)
250w Heater
1-2" of LS

sign guy

imho its a piece of crap. ive seen it before and that skimmer is a joke pluss I cant imagine it would do well in a power outage

juice_1080

alright....wow it completely slipped my mind but I forgot that one of my good friends works at Acryfab.....an Acrylic Fabrication company (hense the name) I am sure I could prolly get him to make me a sump/fuge for pretty cheap. I am just trying to save as much money on this project as possible but still make sure everything is definitely adequate. This all in one system just seemed like it could save me some cash.
The skimmer for the system is powered by a wood air diffuser and from what I was told by the LFS guy, "as long as you don't fill it past the max water line and have the overflow set right it shouldn't overflow in a power outage" plus from what I have seen on the box it has some kind of autotrip type deal where it severs the siphon.
O well thats why I consult the SWF.com gods before I make any further purchase mistakes. (plus I currently don't have the money for it....stupid college bills)

cj7eagle

reef ready means it has an overflow built into the tank, with holes drilled in the bottom glass.
if your tank has no holes drilled in it, its not reef ready, and you would need a hang on the back overflow.

brodweiser13

I've got his set-up on my 55gl. which has been running since January. It's got some pro's and some con's:
Pros - Easy to set-up and maintain, water quality has always been excellent, overflow protection has saved my floor a few times, automatic top-off has been great.
Cons - Skimmer sucks - I added a Aqua C HOB, I have some trouble with microbubbles that I just can't seem to get rid of, not the easiest to take apart for cleaning.
From the perspective of being easy to use and rather trouble free, I'll give it that. However, if I did it all over again (which I will when I upsize!!) I'd go with a sump. That way, I could put the heater, skimmer, and everything else under the tank in the stand instead of in the tank.
Hope that helps. Any specific ??, let me know.

juice_1080

Yea its definitely not reef ready and the bottom glass is tempered so I don't think I want to drill it.
Thanks Brodweiser, the whole reason I wanted it was to save some money because it already had a skimmer and all but I guess if the skimmer sucks I will be actually spending more money to replace it.
Now I just need to figure out dimensions on how my sump+fuge should be layed out so I can get that made.