Anyone build a rack for live rock?

jsteiert

I am thinking about making a PVC rack to use in stacking my rock on in my tank. I would like to be able to use my rock more efficiently and have more of it showing rather than using it to hold up my other rocks. Has anyone made a rack for their tank out of PVC? If so can you tell me how you built it?

fender

My rock is sitting on one. I bought a dozen or so 1/2 inch T's and elbows and lots of pipe. The rock sits up above the sand bed and is very stable. I did not cap any of the pipe so it isn't bouyant. Worked good. I never took any pics unfortunately.

jsteiert

That sounds exactly what I am wanting to do. Do you possibly remember the dimensions? How many levels you made? Any more specific information would be appreciated.

fender

I don't remember exact details but It was about 4 inches tall, 30 inches across and 8 inches deep. Spacing between "runs" was about 6-8 inches. I put the tees on top corners, for quite awhile I saw a ton of amphipods living in there but my watchmen goby has ate them all now :p I will see if I can grab a pic of the one exposed corner.