Anyone drink 5 hour energy?

crimzy

I don't typically drink the stuff. But I picked up a couple today on a recommendation from a friend. Definitely has given me some energy... slightly jittery but not bad.
Is this stuff extremely unhealthy? Anyone else drink it? According to the label, it's healthier than coffee. What's the real deal?

kjr_trig

I don't believe it's unhealthy at all in moderation. I will take one if I want to hit golf balls/practice after work (yes Crimzy I do work
). It gives me a nice little boost which helps me focus a little better, it's pointless for me to practice if I'm dragging.

jackri

Everything in moderation.
I've looked up everything I can on energy drinks.. and seems like caffeine seems like the only health risk and mixing it with alcohol -- but in moderation none of the numerous sources sites a problem
"Back off - I'm about to take it to the next level"

flower

I work nights and I use those 5 hour energy drinks when I am totally exhausted and need to keep going.
They work great, but use only 1...it shouldn't make you jittery. I have a bad heart and the monster drinks make my heart go too fast. The 5 hour doesn't affect me that way.
There was a big warning about energy drinks on the news. Personally...if you abuse the use of anything it will cause problems. Nobody should need a pick up like that on a regular bases unless something else is wrong.
Sorry to be preachy, but I feel I need to say this...
You are a young man and shouldn’t be constantly tired. When you need sleep..Get some sleep.
I raised three very active children. I baby proofed a room with a door I could lock from inside while I stayed in there with them, and lay down on the bed for rest while the little tikes played around me. I had a massive heart attack when my son was 3 months old. I couldn't chase after a toddler.
I had to rest, and I had to take care of the children and run the household. I didn't have energy drinks back then. I figured out a way to rest in spite of a heavy load.
When I am driving I must be alert...that is when I will use those 5 hour drinks. Not to work, or babysit. You are young, pace yourself, you will live longer.
For those RARE times you must keep going, use the drinks. Otherwise don't, get the rest your body needs.

devil dog

I take one before i workout... just for that bost of energy... but if you look whats in them its a lot of B-Vitamins... like 8333% of B12 and that could make you crap your pants...lol other then that the only other thing is you might get a Niacin Flush and that is you will feel hot on your skin... but they do work and just like most Vitamins if you dont use them you will pee them out...
DD

flower

Originally Posted by Devil Dog
http:///forum/post/3035776
I take one before i workout... just for that bost of energy... but if you look whats in them its a lot of B-Vitamins... like 8333% of B12 and that could make you crap your pants...lol other then that the only other thing is you might get a Niacin Flush and that is you will feel hot on your skin... but they do work and just like most Vitamins if you dont use them you will pee them out...
DD
I don't think it is at all healthy to drink something like that and work out. You should have energy because you work out. All the pee you are talking about is your kidneys and liver working overtime. That flush in your face is your blood pressure sky rocketing. Overdose of vitamins can kill you.

crimzy

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3035774
Sorry to be preachy, but I feel I need to say this...
You are a young man and shouldn’t be constantly tired. When you need sleep..Get some sleep.
I raised three very active children. I baby proofed a room with a door I could lock from inside while I stayed in there with them, and lay down on the bed for rest while the little tikes played around me. I had a massive heart attack when my son was 3 months old. I couldn't chase after a toddler.
I had to rest, and I had to take care of the children and run the household. I didn't have energy drinks back then. I figured out a way to rest in spite of a heavy load.
Thanks for the concern, but honestly, it's not necessary. I respect what you had to do but you really have no idea what I do on an everyday basis. Sleep is hard to come by for me...
I work about 60 hours per week. I watch my girls on Wednesdays when I get home from work and all day Saturdays and Sundays. I also watch my girls on the two evenings per week when my wife goes out. I am studying for the Bar exam and try to put in at least 1.5 hours per day during the week (after the kids go to bed), and more on the weekends. I spend about 1 hour everyday cleaning the fish tank, cleaning the dog poop and feeding everybody. Finally, I get two nights per week out, one of which is spent working out and one night is spent with friends.
I'm not trying to sound harsh but please save the "you're a young man, you need your rest". Do the math... I am lucky if I can get 5-6 hours per night. It's cool... I'm not complaining because I have a great life... but I just have a LOT on my plate right now.
As I said, thanks for your concern.

ironeagle2006

Watch how much of that crap you do drink. I used them Alot WHEN DRIVING otr and my docs think between a TBI and those they might be the reason I have the condtion I do have.

jackri

I don't drink soda anymore and I'll sip on an energy drink over the course of about 4 hours at work... as I work in a windowless building and odd shifts. To quote Rip Torn from Dodgeball... "because it's sterile and I like the taste"

el guapo

Crimzy
I tried the 5 hour energy and got the jitters too . I just didn't like it that much . I stick with the no fear brand of energy drinks . I was drinking 1-2 a day for a while and I noticed I was actually starting to get used to having that and needed more . So I detoxed from them for two weeks and now I will drink them only when I really need the boost . I would literally drink two of them on the way to the gym . I think anything in moderation is ok but watch of the addiction to kick in .

flower

Originally Posted by crimzy
http:///forum/post/3035795
Thanks for the concern, but honestly, it's not necessary. I respect what you had to do but you really have no idea what I do on an everyday basis. Sleep is hard to come by for me...
I work about 60 hours per week. I watch my girls on Wednesdays when I get home from work and all day Saturdays and Sundays. I also watch my girls on the two evenings per week when my wife goes out. I am studying for the Bar exam and try to put in at least 1.5 hours per day during the week (after the kids go to bed), and more on the weekends. I spend about 1 hour everyday cleaning the fish tank, cleaning the dog poop and feeding everybody. Finally, I get two nights per week out, one of which is spent working out and one night is spent with friends.
I'm not trying to sound harsh but please save the "you're a young man, you need your rest". Do the math... I am lucky if I can get 5-6 hours per night. It's cool... I'm not complaining because I have a great life... but I just have a LOT on my plate right now.
As I said, thanks for your concern.
You’re a good guy and I am sure your life will slow down some day for you to enjoy it. I don't think the 5 hour energy is going to be as bad as some of the stuff out there.
I knew you were caring for the children by your posts. I am, just an old mother hen. I have two sons in their 30s...So I guess I just mother smothered a bit.

Someday you will be a big time lawyer, and your children will be old enough to help you clean the dog poo and even cook for you once in a while.
Life just doesn't get better than that. So as Dory said...just keep swimming

crimzy

Originally Posted by EL GUAPO
http:///forum/post/3035806
Crimzy
I tried the 5 hour energy and got the jitters too . I just didn't like it that much . I stick with the no fear brand of energy drinks . I was drinking 1-2 a day for a while and I noticed I was actually starting to get used to having that and needed more . So I detoxed from them for two weeks and now I will drink them only when I really need the boost . I would literally drink two of them on the way to the gym . I think anything in moderation is ok but watch of the addiction to kick in .
I know a lot of people who drink them before working out. I may just try that.

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3035792
I don't think it is at all healthy to drink something like that and work out. You should have energy because you work out. All the pee you are talking about is your kidneys and liver working overtime. That flush in your face is your blood pressure sky rocketing. Overdose of vitamins can kill you.
Using caffeine or other stimulants is really common before a work out.

darthtang aw

3 red bulls, 1 Cocaine (it is a drink) 4 cokes/pepsis, a rockstar energy shot, and a five hour energy drink are my daily staples. Based off what you know about me I will let you decide how healthy this is....

crimzy

Originally Posted by kjr_trig
http:///forum/post/3035911
We're just glad you find time for us Crimzy.

Yeah, unfortunately a lot of my daily activities involve me sitting, staring at a computer screen. So you all get the blessing of my presence.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Darthtang AW
http:///forum/post/3035877
3 red bulls, 1 Cocaine (it is a drink) 4 cokes/pepsis, a rockstar energy shot, and a five hour energy drink are my daily staples. Based off what you know about me I will let you decide how healthy this is....
Do you really drink that every day????