Anyone else play an instrument?

ackermsb

Ive been playing the mandolin for about 4 years now and play in a jamgrass band. Jamgrass is a modernized style of bluegrass but not really bluegrass. It has a bluegrass foundation as far as the instruments involved but branches out to funk, jazz, rock, improvisation, etc. Recently I realized there aint nothing better than playing on stage to a packed house. Not sure what is legit to post here but our band feinwood (put a www. pre and a .com post) has some songs up on our site for peeps to check out. Let me know what you all think. And if anybody lives in the Baltimore/Washington area I would love to meet you at one of our shows. Or, if you want to just play some music and drink some beers.

ackermsb

sweet. I cant imagine how difficult that is to play. It sure sounds nice though when you know how to play. how did you get into playing that?

nicetry

Bagpipes.
Have played for over 30 yrs. Competitively until a few years back. Mostly light music, and with a couple of Grade two bands. Have competed in Scotland on two occassions and extensively in Canada. Now mostly solo jobs; weddings, funerals, parties, etc..
I also play drums.

imurnamine

Originally Posted by ackermsb
sweet. I cant imagine how difficult that is to play. It sure sounds nice though when you know how to play. how did you get into playing that?

I haven't played in years. The rich neighbours I had when I was about 6 or 7 had one. The wife taught me how to play it. I wonder if I'd still be decent...

ackermsb

Originally Posted by nicetry
Bagpipes.
Have played for over 30 yrs. Competitively until a few years back. Mostly light music, and with a couple of Grade two bands. Have competed in Scotland on two occassions and extensively in Canada. Now mostly solo jobs; weddings, funerals, parties, etc..
I also play drums.
Wow that is awesome ... except for the funeral part. Mandolin and bagpipes actually go pretty welll together in an irish band.
Originally Posted by nicetry

ImUrNamine
I haven't played in years. The rich neighbours I had when I was about 6 or 7 had one. The wife taught me how to play it. I wonder if I'd still be decent....
Gotta love the rich neigbors - So do you play football too? ***)

shogun323

I have been playing the guitar for 15 years. I primarily play acoustic but still pull out the strat to be a rockstar once in a while.

imurnamine

Originally Posted by ackermsb
Wow that is awesome ... except for the funeral part. Mandolin and bagpipes actually go pretty welll together in an irish band.
Gotta love the rich neigbors - So do you play football too? ***)

Haha, no. My brother used to, though. I used to cheer, does that count?

mr. guitar

I play acoustic guitar (Fingerstyle...Example; Chet Atkins and Doyle Dykes), Dulcimer, and a little bit of the piano. I use to take piano lessons then I quit. Then I got into guitar after seeing Doyle Dykes at school. AMAZING guitar player...BEST IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!! For fingerstyle guitar players that is. I've been wantin to learn how to play the mandolin and hammer dulcimer but my parents wont let me get either instrument.

ackermsb

Awesome!!! Were looking for a drummer right now to add behind the quartet with the ability to play electric. Live near Baltimore by any chance

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by ImUrNamine
Harp
bass player for 15 years.
my main axe is my 12 string bass, so its almost a harp!!!
myspace.com/cowfishrule
pix of it there.

saltn00b

you want difficult, try the bassoon!
i played it for 4 years in HS, havent since cause they cost 4K +