Anyone else Roomba?

jennythebugg

i want a roomba is yours one of the newer ones that finds its docking station on its own? how does it work on pet hair?

bang guy

Norman (our Roomba) sweeps the downstairs every day at 5am. Before Norman I would have a layer of dog hair clinging to my pants just before leaving for work.

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennythebugg http:///forum/thread/380132/anyone-else-roomba#post_3307630
i want a roomba is yours one of the newer ones that finds its docking station on its own? how does it work on pet hair?
It's the best thing I ever bought. I'll admit, I'm a sucker for gadgets and most are disappointing when you are first in line for the new gimmic.... I'm not disappointed in this guy. Yes, I went with the new 562 pet model. I can't believe how clean the floor is. When I compare the floor to upstairs, which doesn't have one, I can see what a wonderful job it does. I'm going to by the Scooba for downstairs and put this one upstairs. It totally cleans the sreas against the wall where pet hair tends to collect.

Poor guy got locked in the bathroom one day. He didn't return to his docking station and I had to do a search for him. It's the same bathroom the dog got trapped in one time when we went out. The door closes behind you and I haven't installed the magnetic door stop yet. Roomba went in, the door closed, and he just stayed in there cleaning until his battery ran out and he died.

I have him set to do his cleaning every morning at 5am.... he's an early riser.

cranberry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bang Guy http:///forum/thread/380132/anyone-else-roomba#post_3307631
Norman (our Roomba) sweeps the downstairs every day at 5am. Before Norman I would have a layer of dog hair clinging to my pants just before leaving for work.
We were going to name our Nem Nem after our dog that died. That dog would pick up dirt where ever he went... just like the roomba.

Well, the dog's name was Emberley, but Nem Nem for short.

btldreef

I LOVE our roomba! I have the new one that finds the docking station on it's own and it's wonderful. The dog hates it, he follows it around and keeps sniffing it and when it gets too close to his toys, he starts parking and pounces at it, it's really funny. I have to admit, sometimes I just turn it on to watch the dog chase it around.

meowzer

I just watched the video.....OK...so fot $350 you get the roomba and dock

Do you need anything else? Does it work good on carpet???

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380132/anyone-else-roomba#post_3309459

That's all you need.

It works great on carpet. And I have towers that tell mine to stay in one room, or I can set them to tell it to come into the next room when it finishes with one. We actually have two thanks to a mishap on our wedding registry so the entire house gets cleaned every day.
With owning a dog and messy husband, I can't imagine living without one. Mine even fits under my couch :)

shogun323

For all this time I thought Roomba was an excercise routine. These are cool!! They actually work well enough to replace a vacuum?

S

saxman

I have to admit, I was skeptical when Renee said she wanted to try one, but they do work really well. As for replacing a vacuum, they obviously can't get into every nook and cranny, but they do a pretty nice job.

btldreef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun323 http:///forum/thread/380132/anyone-else-roomba#post_3309468
For all this time I thought Roomba was an excercise routine. These are cool!! They actually work well enough to replace a vacuum?
LOL, you're thinking of Zoomba.

They don't replace a vacuum, but you'll be able to go a lot longer before you need to pull out an actual vacuum. I think my vacuum only comes out about once every three weeks or so now, especially since mine can fit under the couch. I've gotten into a routine of pulling out the chairs from the kitchen table at night, etc, to make sure it gets into everywhere when it goes on in the morning. The newer models really can get into a lot of spaces. Mine gets into where the floor and molding meets, my mom has the older model, her's does not.

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowzer http:///forum/thread/380132/anyone-else-roomba#post_3309459

Wait for a sale on a refurbished one on WOOT. Unless $350 is pocket change for you. I have the Discovery model that also comes with 2 virtual walls for Norman. This is useful for me because I have a couple areas I don't want him going into.

meowzer

Will they knock over the dog's water? I mean how sensitive are they when they hit something.

LOL...$350 is NOT pocket change for me....I will definitely do some more research, and look into refurb's

cranberry

Nope, your water will be safe. And while it's not a vacuum replacement.... I haven't had to vacuum downstairs at all.

ialex2005i

Well, I had been looking at one. I do have 2 dogs and the amount of hair they shed worried me, but the reviews seem good from you guys. I have a baby on the way, and the floor needs to be clean, so mine has officially been ordered!

bang guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ialex2005i http:///forum/thread/380132/anyone-else-roomba#post_3309540
Well, I had been looking at one. I do have 2 dogs and the amount of hair they shed worried me, but the reviews seem good from you guys. I have a baby on the way, and the floor needs to be clean, so mine has officially been ordered!
If you have two dogs that shed significantly you'll probably have to empty the bin every day. Takes about 30 seconds. Once a week you'll want to pull the hair out of the brush and do a general cleaning. Still, not much work there. It's so nice to go to work without having pants "blessed" by the dogs & cats.