Anyone ever had a tall rectangle tank?

Hey Guys,
I was thinking about upgrading from my 125 gallon reef tank to a 250 gallon aggressive tank and I was wondering if anyone has ever set up a tall rectangle rather than a long rectangle (hope that make sense)? I have the perfect spot but it would be better tall than wide. I was just curious how you liked it and I know this is weird but I guess the fish swim more up and down than side to side does this look just as good as the regular normal setup tank?
thanks

something like this

Not really sure, I got into this hobby because I thought that the clown trigger was the most beautiful fish I ever saw, that was 15 years ago and I have always done peaceful reef tanks just thought maybe I would change it up. Always wanted a snowflake eel too but never kept them with corals. I also really like the dogface pufferfish, but I would do a lot of research first to see what works well together in a tank of that size. Not really sure why the mental block but I guess I am just used to seeing a long rectangle tank but wanted to try something that would look a little different this time and just wondered if anyone had ever done it and loved it. Would love to do a cylinder tank but those things are crazy expensive to build!

geridoc

I had a tall 90 gallon hexagonal tank that was custom made for me, and I didn't like it. The fish didn't swim up and down, the just stayed in one place since they couldn't swim horizontally. I don't think that fish are programmed to choose whether to swim a mile horizontally, and if not, to go vertically to make up for the missed exercise.

jay0705

I have a 56 column, similar results aswell. My clowns go up and down but most other fish just utilize the length not height.

geridoc

If you do go with the tall format, I would recommend flame hawkfish. Mine (I have a pair in my 220) constantly swim to the surface, then down to the bottom, so you would get lots of action from these personable little guys.. Maybe with jay0705's clowns you could make an interesting display.

alex2089

if you are going to keep a clown trigger then you can buy a 90 or even a 75 and put them in there. they really don't need that much space if it's the only fish in the tank. the main worry about them is waking up one day and seeing everything ripped in half. they can go nuts out of the blue. a 4 foot tank would not have as much foot print as the larger tanks. i would not go with the tall tank, because it is also hard to get oxygen circulating in a tall tank rather than a long tank. if you can put a 4 foot tank then go with the 75,90 or a custom tank that is 4 feet but has more width, therefore you can have a 125 in a 4 foot print rather than a 6foot

snakeblitz33

I had a 90g show tank that was 31 inches tall and it was a pain when something dropped in the bottom of the tank to get something out.

I agree with doc.

However, I am looking at getting another 90g show tank or a 110g tall tank to fit in the corner of my new house. Ah, one day.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by tableforglasses http:///t/397718/anyone-ever-had-a-tall-rectangle-tank#post_3546028
Hey Guys,
I was thinking about upgrading from my 125 gallon reef tank to a 250 gallon aggressive tank and I was wondering if anyone has ever set up a tall rectangle rather than a long rectangle (hope that make sense)? I have the perfect spot but it would be better tall than wide. I was just curious how you liked it and I know this is weird but I guess the fish swim more up and down than side to side does this look just as good as the regular normal setup tank?
thanks

something like this

Hi,

Tall tanks have been around forever it seems, so it's not a new concept. The biggest problem with them is the gas exchange, the more surface the better it is for that. The tanks are hard to service because they are so deep, and would have a hard time for light to penetrate that deep if you want corals...but there are always non-photosynthetic ones you could put that low.

They are beautiful tanks, but deep tanks are usually used for certain species of fish, such as seahorses who need more vertical space then length to swim. I have a 56g tall and I love it, but I keep seahorses, so a tall tank is best for them. It's a challenge to service it when I need to, I can hardly reach the bottom and it's a small tank. I can't imagine anything larger then the 56g in a tall tank.

Another thing to consider is décor.... for a tall tank to look nice, building your own columns, or make a custom decoration is the best way to make it look good. Piling rock that high could be really bad if it became unstable. I opted for branch (live) rock on one corner, and built my own columns to set around a store bought coliseum decoration (it wasn't tall enough on it's own)

jay0705

There is a mix that uses crushed coral and epoxy/cement to make your own rock. You can customize the shape.idk off hand what the mix is tho

snakeblitz33

Apoxy Sculpt is what a lot of professional aquarists use to do big jobs. I can buy two quart tubs of it for about $30.
Flower is right about gas exchange, but that can be remedied with a sump and a decent skimmer.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/397718/anyone-ever-had-a-tall-rectangle-tank#post_3548269
Apoxy Sculpt is what a lot of professional aquarists use to do big jobs. I can buy two quart tubs of it for about $30.
Flower is right about gas exchange, but that can be remedied with a sump and a decent skimmer.

I opted for two bubble lines (no stone). A sump would be great to have on one. The stand on a tall tank is just as narrow as the top tank, making a good sump where you can make chambers for a skimmer and such, a real challenge. I had a small 20g sump that had to be placed in the stand from the top...so add the sump tank in the stand FIRST if you opt for that route. I removed my sump because the lifter pump was a nightmare... I had to break the tank to remove it. So if you want a sump system, do yourself a huge favor, and have it predrilled, so you won't need a lifter pump.