Anyone ever had a yellowtail Fang Blenny?

oceanjumper

YELLOWTAIL FANG BLENNY aka LYRETAIL FANG BLENNY aka FORKTAIL BLENNY
Saw one at LFS today! Absolutely gorgeous. I read it is venomous to other (predatory) fish but it is well suitable for reef tanks.
Anyone ever had one? What were/are the experiences? ANy recommendations?
Thx.

lharm

Ive seen one two but i have never had one. but i have a Lawnmower blenny and Ive seen some funny things happen.

debbers

I've seen pics of that yellowtail guy... my species book does say that he is, indeed venomous as well as somewhat of the less hardy blennies.
Have you looked up the Red Sea Mimic Blenny (ecsenius gravieri)? It looks almost the same in color and markings... but stays a little smaller, up to 3.1", is non-venomous, and is more hardy. Just a thought...
I got a midas blenny... he keeps us entertained for hours with his antics!
HTH
~D~

oceanjumper

Absolutely lovely as well.
Have you ever noticed if he/she is a notorius "jumper"? My tank is not covered and I just read Blennies might not be the best fish for such system...
Thx

debbers

LOL,
Actually I *AM* a saleswoman, but not a fishy one... hehehe!
Is it the midas blenny or the red sea mimic blenny or the yellow tail fang blenny you want?
I want everything I see! I'm gonna need a one-ton aquarium to house the critters I want!!! Yeah, right! :p

oceanjumper

Well, let me say it will be a blenny. I will be doing some visits to several LFS to see them in real life, and do some more research (esp. about the jumping part).
I told myself to wait until Christmas before buying..... not earlier.... who said patience is a virtue in this hobby?... grrrr.... lol
I'll let you know eventually!

debbers

LOL, OceanJumper... how much you got?! :eek:
Seriously, though, what kind of LFS do you go to? The one by me will special order any fish that their supplier has access to. I wonder if a store by you would offer that service? I've seen midas blennies online, too, but shipping is usually pretty high, and he's not a cheap blenny (mine cost $39).
Fish food for thought!
~D~
:D

oceanjumper

Believe it or not, I was just talking to a LFS in Greensboro (~1 hour from me) and one of the owners told me that if I told him what kind of fish, what size, what colors (!!!) I would like, they would go out and catch it by hand for me!!! And if it wasn't too much of a pricey fish I was not even obliged ot buy it. Service or what?! I must also say, his store was in top-notch shape.

oceanjumper

By the way, the forktail blenny was $19 in another store in Greensboro. This store however looked like sh*t. Aiptasia everywhere, alternated by red slime algae.

debbers

LOL, yeah... don't mention that "A" word to me now! Those peppermint shrimp I got today had better get busy!
~D~