Anyone ever had Lasik surgery?

nina&noah

I have an appointment to see a Doctor in a week to see if I'm a candidate. Just wanted to see if there was anyone here that has done it. What can I expect? Are you happy with the procedure/results?
I started my 7 days of no contacts today. I HATE wearing glasses. I just don't see well with them on. My baby rips them off every chance he gets. This is going to be a long week!

My wife just had both her eyes done last Saturday. She is really happy with the results thus far.
The best part is watching her walk to the bathroom every night before bed, and then return about 20 seconds later laughing.
She keeps trying to take her contacts out!
I guess old habits die hard huh?
But other than the bloodshot eyes, she hasn't had a single complication!
And the whole procedure took less than 10 minutes!
Good luck!

flower

My Mom and Dad both had it done , now remember they were both past 60 when they did this. So maybe the method has improved.
My Dad got to where he couldn't see without intense light. He said everything was fine for about a year, then we noticed he got to where he couldn't see without lots of light. One of us kids (grown) always gave him a flashlight for father’s day till the day he died. He couldn't see with a lamp even. He had to light up the spot he wanted to read.
My Mother had it done, and again all was fine for a little over three years, now she can't see at night to drive. She now has moved a lamp beside her chair in the living room to read. The overhead light isn't bright enough anymore.
These are the only two people I personally know who had it done for any length of time. I know plenty of older folks who see just fine with glasses, and don't go in the dark because of age. I blame the surgery. It just seems too much of a coincidence that they both landed up not being able to see without extra light. My Mother is steadily going into the dark. All the ones who are saying it is great have not had it done for any length of time.
So before doing it, maybe look around for the long term effects. My dad was 78 when he passed, and my mother is now just about that age too. Maybe younger people do better
, maybe they have improved...you only have two eyes so it is worth it to look into it a little deeper, and not blindly trust their advertisements.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3011421
My Mom and Dad both had it done , now remember they were both past 60 when they did this. So maybe the method has improved.
My Dad got to where he couldn't see without intense light. He said everything was fine for about a year, then we noticed he got to where he couldn't see without lots of light. One of us kids (grown) always gave him a flashlight for father’s day till the day he died. He couldn't see with a lamp even. He had to light up the spot he wanted to read.
My Mother had it done, and again all was fine for a little over three years, now she can't see at night to drive. She now has moved a lamp beside her chair in the living room to read. The overhead light isn't bright enough anymore.
These are the only two people I personally know who had it done for any length of time. I know plenty of older folks who see just fine with glasses, and don't go in the dark because of age. I blame the surgery. It just seems too much of a coincidence that they both landed up not being able to see without extra light. My Mother is steadily going into the dark. All the ones who are saying it is great have not had it done for any length of time.
So before doing it, maybe look around for the long term effects. My dad was 78 when he passed, and my mother is now just about that age too. Maybe younger people do better
, maybe they have improved...you only have two eyes so it is worth it to look into it a little deeper, and not blindly trust their advertisements.
Let me make sure that I am understanding, they had the procedure done 18 years ago? Do you know exactly which surgery they had? Did they have the one where they have to actually cut the eye? The one I am looking at they just use the laser. There is no cutting involved. The eye slicing freaks me out!
Yeah, the two side effects that are the most common are halos and "loss of night vision." I've pondered having the surgery for about 10 years now. I just think they have gotten so advanced, that I am leaning towards doing it.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by TheClemsonKid
http:///forum/post/3011409
My wife just had both her eyes done last Saturday. She is really happy with the results thus far.
The best part is watching her walk to the bathroom every night before bed, and then return about 20 seconds later laughing.
She keeps trying to take her contacts out!
I guess old habits die hard huh?
But other than the bloodshot eyes, she hasn't had a single complication!
And the whole procedure took less than 10 minutes!
Good luck!
Just out of curiousity, how long did they make her keep her contacts out before her surgery? How long did it take for her vision to improve?

pezenfuego

Does not lasik require a keratomileusis (sp bad I know) the device that cuts a corneal flap? I am not familiar with a surgery that uses just a laser. I know a few people that were not good candidates for Lasik but were able to get PRK...which is basically the same thing, except that the epithelium is completely removed with a scalpel rather than just making a flap. Both report good results after a few years...
Even still one of the people I know needs reading glasses because of presbyopia. If you don't have that yet...I hear it's a blast.
You can also get a surgery called prelex. Presbyopic lens exchange is what that stands for I believe.
The doctor will obviously be able to tell you what's up. Ask a lot of questions

nina&noah

Originally Posted by PEZenfuego
http:///forum/post/3011700
Does not lasik require a keratomileusis (sp bad I know) the device that cuts a corneal flap? I am not familiar with a surgery that uses just a laser. I know a few people that were not good candidates for Lasik but were able to get PRK...which is basically the same thing, except that the epithelium is completely removed with a scalpel rather than just making a flap. Both report good results after a few years...
^
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I don't like the surgeon doing the slicing. The place I am going to has a machine where the laser does all of the work. This is from their website...
"Surgeons at Bascom Palmer use the IntraLase laser, a highly specialized laser that creates the flap more dependably and safely than the standard blade microkeratome. The IntraLase laser uses extremely short bursts of light in the near infrared range achieving accuracy and safety that cannot be dependably matched by the standard blade microkeratome"

http:///forum/post/3011700
Even still one of the people I know needs reading glasses because of presbyopia. If you don't have that yet...I hear it's a blast.^
I had to go look that up. I had never heard of that. It said that presbyopia is an age related issue. Is your friend over 40?

flower

Originally Posted by nina&noah
http:///forum/post/3011687
Let me make sure that I am understanding, they had the procedure done 18 years ago? Do you know exactly which surgery they had? Did they have the one where they have to actually cut the eye? The one I am looking at they just use the laser. There is no cutting involved. The eye slicing freaks me out!
Yeah, the two side effects that are the most common are halos and "loss of night vision." I've pondered having the surgery for about 10 years now. I just think they have gotten so advanced, that I am leaning towards doing it.
That is why I stressed the advances. My parents had it done years ago and medicine has really moved far ahead since then, what type??? I just asked my Mom, here is what she said...
No cutting, just a laser. My Mother however had some kind of scar tissue, and they used a wire brush to clear it off. She said it was awful and it took weeks before she could see again. She can't drive at night now and she has started using extra light beside her chair to read.
My Father just had the laser only...he is the one with the flashlight reading a newspaper in the middle of the day.
Just be aware and do lots of homework. Let us know how things go, keep this post updated.

pezenfuego

Originally Posted by nina&noah
http:///forum/post/3011720
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I don't like the surgeon doing the slicing. The place I am going to has a machine where the laser does all of the work. This is from their website...
"Surgeons at Bascom Palmer use the IntraLase laser, a highly specialized laser that creates the flap more dependably and safely than the standard blade microkeratome. The IntraLase laser uses extremely short bursts of light in the near infrared range achieving accuracy and safety that cannot be dependably matched by the standard blade microkeratome"
I had to go look that up. I had never heard of that. It said that presbyopia is an age related issue. Is your friend over 40?
Keratomileusis didn't sound right, you're right I was looking for the word microkeratome...
Presbyopia involves the lens becoming less flexible and very brittle as well as the muscles supporting and flexing it deteriorating. A lot of people have that problem. Basically in this surgery, they break your lens (inside your eye) and suck it out, then they put a new synthetic lens in.
I know a little about this because my vision is terrible and I wanted to learn about the surgeries for future reference. So I know things from people's experiences as well as info from the internet, book, and some brochures I picked up at the ophthalmologist's office. I'm only 15 and I have somewhere between 20:200 and 20:400 vision. What's your vision? All the doctors around here are incredibly nice people.

bionicarm

I had the 'flap and zap' performed on my eyes about 10 years ago. I started out at 20/100, and ended with 20/40 (which I still have today). My surgery was performed using the scalpel method like you described at first. Technology has improved to where they use a laser now. It's less invasive, and makes a cleaner cut thatn the scalpel method.
As I recall, this is how my procedure went:
They put special drops in your eyes for dilation, and also some antibiotic cream for post surgery. They also gave me a

[hr]
to 'cut the edge off' during the surgery. Once I got into the room with the equipment, I laid down on a table so they could pull the machine that does the actual Lasik over the top of me. They took this device that covers the top of your eye and had these 'spreaders' tp keep both your eyelids wide open. Absolutely no way to blink. Didn't really hurt, just uncomfortable. Your eyes start to dry out fast. The next thing they did was put this ocular piece that has the scalpel in it into the device keeping your eyelids open. When the procedure started, the ocular piece had this vacuum to it where it actually sucks your eyeball into it. They do this to get you eye in the proper position for the scalpel to slice the corneal flap. For a couple of seconds you can see the blade go across the eye, and then back. After this happens, your vision is completely blurred. This is when the 'flap' is made, and your cornea is exposed to the laser. Next thing you know, you hear this other vacuum noise, and your vision goes from white to complete blackness. All I saw was this small red beam in the far distance. The doctor then told me "Don't move". I then heard this 'ticking' noise in the background, which I was told was the laser hitting my cornea performing the actual Lasik surgery, burning off the parts that were mapped out with the computer during my initial diagnosis. About 30 seconds later, I could see white again and I could see the 'flap' go back over my cornea. Vision was pretty blurry at this time. The entire procedure took about 5 minutes. I had both eyes done in one sitting. Some people, and doctors, recommend you do one eye at a time. Their premise at the time was if something went terribly wrong, you'd only have one eye that was damaged instead of two. Don't think that's an issue any longer.
They kept me in post-op for about 30 minutes to make sure everything went OK. I was still a little loopy because of the

[hr]
, but within 10 or 15 minutes, I could already tell a difference with my eyesight. When I was released, the doctor told me to go home and immediately go to bed. The eyes heal faster while sleeping. They give you these goggles with holes in them to wear while you sleep. You defintely want these so you don't accidentally rub your eyes (Big No, No). The initial 12 hours were pretty uncomfortable. My eyes had this irritating scratchy feeling. Kind of like when you get sand, dirt, or a hair in your eye. You want to rub, but you know you can't. The doctor gave me two different kind of drops to use after the surgery. One was an antibiotic, the other helped with the irritation. After about 12 to 24 hours, the itchiness stopped. I had to make sure and not get water in my eyes the first 3 - 5 days when washing my hair. After that, it was back to normal.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by bionicarm
http:///forum/post/3011774
I had the 'flap and zap' performed on my eyes about 10 years ago. I started out at 20/100, and ended with 20/40 (which I still have today). My surgery was performed using the scalpel method like you described at first. Technology has improved to where they use a laser now. It's less invasive, and makes a cleaner cut thatn the scalpel method.
As I recall, this is how my procedure went:
They put special drops in your eyes for dilation, and also some antibiotic cream for post surgery. They also gave me a

[hr]
to 'cut the edge off' during the surgery. Once I got into the room with the equipment, I laid down on a table so they could pull the machine that does the actual Lasik over the top of me. They took this device that covers the top of your eye and had these 'spreaders' tp keep both your eyelids wide open. Absolutely no way to blink. Didn't really hurt, just uncomfortable. Your eyes start to dry out fast. The next thing they did was put this ocular piece that has the scalpel in it into the device keeping your eyelids open. When the procedure started, the ocular piece had this vacuum to it where it actually sucks your eyeball into it. They do this to get you eye in the proper position for the scalpel to slice the corneal flap. For a couple of seconds you can see the blade go across the eye, and then back. After this happens, your vision is completely blurred. This is when the 'flap' is made, and your cornea is exposed to the laser. Next thing you know, you hear this other vacuum noise, and your vision goes from white to complete blackness. All I saw was this small red beam in the far distance. The doctor then told me "Don't move". I then heard this 'ticking' noise in the background, which I was told was the laser hitting my cornea performing the actual Lasik surgery, burning off the parts that were mapped out with the computer during my initial diagnosis. About 30 seconds later, I could see white again and I could see the 'flap' go back over my cornea. Vision was pretty blurry at this time. The entire procedure took about 5 minutes. I had both eyes done in one sitting. Some people, and doctors, recommend you do one eye at a time. Their premise at the time was if something went terribly wrong, you'd only have one eye that was damaged instead of two. Don't think that's an issue any longer.
They kept me in post-op for about 30 minutes to make sure everything went OK. I was still a little loopy because of the

[hr]
, but within 10 or 15 minutes, I could already tell a difference with my eyesight. When I was released, the doctor told me to go home and immediately go to bed. The eyes heal faster while sleeping. They give you these goggles with holes in them to wear while you sleep. You defintely want these so you don't accidentally rub your eyes (Big No, No). The initial 12 hours were pretty uncomfortable. My eyes had this irritating scratchy feeling. Kind of like when you get sand, dirt, or a hair in your eye. You want to rub, but you know you can't. The doctor gave me two different kind of drops to use after the surgery. One was an antibiotic, the other helped with the irritation. After about 12 to 24 hours, the itchiness stopped. I had to make sure and not get water in my eyes the first 3 - 5 days when washing my hair. After that, it was back to normal.

OK, this post officially scared me to death!!! I can't imagine seeing the blade cut your eye and then things go completely black! Wow, that is scary! I think the scratchy feeling isn't an issue anymore with the new technology.
I have so many questions for the doctor! I will keep all of you updated. My appointment is not until next week. Thank you all for your input.

nina&noah

http:///forum/post/3011730
Keratomileusis didn't sound right, you're right I was looking for the word microkeratome...
Presbyopia involves the lens becoming less flexible and very brittle as well as the muscles supporting and flexing it deteriorating. A lot of people have that problem. Basically in this surgery, they break your lens (inside your eye) and suck it out, then they put a new synthetic lens in.
I know a little about this because my vision is terrible and I wanted to learn about the surgeries for future reference. So I know things from people's experiences as well as info from the internet, book, and some brochures I picked up at the ophthalmologist's office. I'm only 15 and I have somewhere between 20:200 and 20:400 vision. What's your vision? All the doctors around here are incredibly nice people.
I actually don't know what my vision is! I stopped asking a long time ago. Just give me my contacts and I will be on my way. I didn't know they put in a synthetic lens. I thought the laser fixed the muscle that was lazy. Maybe I should start reading some more.

nina&noah

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3011728
That is why I stressed the advances. My parents had it done years ago and medicine has really moved far ahead since then, what type??? I just asked my Mom, here is what she said...
No cutting, just a laser. My Mother however had some kind of scar tissue, and they used a wire brush to clear it off. She said it was awful and it took weeks before she could see again. She can't drive at night now and she has started using extra light beside her chair to read.
My Father just had the laser only...he is the one with the flashlight reading a newspaper in the middle of the day.
Just be aware and do lots of homework. Let us know how things go, keep this post updated.
Wow, that sounds awful! So if your mom could go back, would she do it again?

sueandherzoo

I had PRK done on both eyes about 15 years ago. My eyes were so bad that they were beyond the legal limits that could be treated in the states so I flew to Canada to have it done. I went in with eyesight that was about 20/200 and came out 20/20 and 20/30. I had the type where the laser burns away the outer layer and then corrects the inner tissue. After the procedure they put "bandaids" (clear contacts) on my eyes to protect them since they were newly lasered and vlunerable, and I was given codeine, sleeping

[hr]
, and drops that I had to put in my eyes every couple of hours. I was checked the next day and sent home and by the next morning I was able to drive my kids to school with NO GLASSES! The first 48 hours after surgery was VERY uncomfortable and I stayed in the hotel room with lights off, curtains closed, and head under the covers.... VERY sensitive to light. I would do it again in a heartbeat, though..... it felt like I had been re-born. I have had bad eyes since I was 6 years old, wore glasses until I was 18, and then wore hard contact lenses till 35. I had to go back to wearing glasses for a MONTH before the PRK - after all those years of wearing hard contacts my eyes needed time to go back to their original shape.
Get references from other patients, research the doctor and his experience, and once you're comfortable, GO FOR IT. I am saving money so that in the next couple of years I can give the gift of corrective eye surgery to both of my kids...... I think it's one of the best presents I could give them.
Good luck!
Sue

jackri

Watched my wife go through it... BEST thing we ever did for her.... no more eye headaches, not being able to see, messing with contacts, etc.
I think it has been 4 years now, I think she did the intralase??
She had an astigmatism and REALLY bad eyesight... today she's better than 20/20 with no complications.
Yes, take their valum after the procedure and take a nap... AFTER her nap she felt great... before she said it was like soap in her eyes and she was pretty whiney ;)

bionicarm

QUOTE=nina&noah;3011898]OK, this post officially scared me to death!!! I can't imagine seeing the blade cut your eye and then things go completely black! Wow, that is scary! I think the scratchy feeling isn't an issue anymore with the new technology.
I have so many questions for the doctor! I will keep all of you updated. My appointment is not until next week. Thank you all for your input.
It's not as bad as it sounds. The prep time is 10 times longer than the actual procedure itself. It wasn't painful at all, just uncomfortable. Do as others suggest, and talk to the doctor specifically about the procedures he/she will perform. I remember that the 'operating room' I was in had a large glass window that looked out into an observation room. When my procedure was being performed, the doctor told my wife she could watch the entire thing while it was happening. They even had a monitor that showed a camera view of my eye as the procedure was being performed. Even though my wife is an RN, she still didn't want to watch it though.
See if your doctor will let you watch the procedure perform you have it done.

nina&noah

Today is the day!!! I have my appointment to see the doctor to find out if I am a candidate for Lasik. I am super nervous, and today isn't even surgery day. I'm scared he will tell me I'm not a good candidate.
The 7 days without contacts have been pure torture!!! I HATE GLASSES!!! I've had headaches all week.
Wish me luck!!

sueandherzoo

Keep us posted - I remember exactly how you feel. I was a wreck during the pre-surgical testing so afraid that they'd find something that would disqualify me from having it done. When all systems were go I was so excited without an ounce of nerves - people just couldn't get over it. As I explained it, though...... "my eyes are so bad right now I haven't got much to lose!"
The concept was much newer back when I had it done and I went out of country for it since my eyes were so bad so I'm sure yours will be even less risky. Technology has come a long way in the past 15 years. Good luck!
Sue

nina&noah

I QUALIFIED!!!

The doctors said I was at no risk of losing night vision and I have a very small risk of developing halos, which generally go away.
The bad news is that I can't have the surgery until next week. The surgery is scheduled for next Tuesday. It is costing me $5000

sueandherzoo

Wow - I think that's even more than I paid 15 years ago - I had hoped the price had come down a little since it's so much more common now. I was also hoping to be able to give the gift of corrective eye surgery to both of my kids at some point but that's a pretty hefty price tag - I better start buying less fish.

But congratulations on the green light - this week will fly by and you will be glasses-free before you know it! Good luck!
Sue