Anyone ever heard of this??

4husky

I found a Pakistan (Pakistani/Red Tail) Butterfly (scientific name: Chaetodon Collare) today at the large Aquarium in the theme park I work at. I want to get one. The only thing I can find is another on-line fish store that sells him, but no info or picture. (I know what it looks like, but there's no way to show you guys....)
Anyone who knows about him, PLEASE help, delicate? good eater? Ok community?
Tank set up as follows:
45 gal, 1 molly (my 4yr olds IMPORTANT fish), 3 snails, random tulip anemones (not too concerned with), Skilter 400, Powerhead/UG, and crushed coral/ base rock.
pH 8.1, SG 1.022, teeny ammo, teeny nitrite, (both barely register anything)& no nitrate.
AND yes, I've gotten rid of the fireworms, long story...
:^/
~Cat~
[This message has been edited by 4husky (edited 08-19-2000).]

4husky

Tired of editting...
I eventually want to get a Hippo/Regal Tang, and maybe a Coral Beauty, A cleaner wrasse, and a couple of Cleaner shrimp... (heard the shrimp are good at helping with ich??) Any opinions on any of these together? OBVIOUSLY, going to do this over a period of a few months, don't want to rush/shock my system. Thanks...
~CAT~

lionfish

Sounds all right to me. You'll love a Coral Beauty because they can be really active and a very colorful addition to your tank. Cleaner shrimp are a great idea. I have one and it picked all the ich off my Royal Gramma and Coral Beauty~!
LionFish~

jimi

Definately skip the butterfly for now. Even though the pakistan is one of the better ones to keep none of the butterfly family can be considered easy. You tank should be up and running without problems for several months to a year before you add a butterfly.

silversides

The RegalTang is not recommended for use with Invertebrates (book).
The info on the Pakistani Butterflyfish is:
Indian Ocean
6" (wild)
4" (aquarium)
Most frozen marine foods and greenstuff.
May be intolerant of other members of its own, or other, species.
No, not to be trusted with invertebrate.
Mike
[This message has been edited by silversides (edited 08-20-2000).]

4husky

With the exception to the fireworm remedy, the tank has been up for mebbe a year. I had a couple of blue damsels that the fireworms knocked off about four months ago.
To get rid of the fireworms I had an empty tank where I drained all tank water, the skilter, and and "molly" and her few snail/anemone friends to. The 45 was torn down from there. The UG substrate and base rock was bleached (1:30 - bleach:water solution) then rinsed until I possibly couldn't rinse any more, and then filled with fresh/ chorine remover overnight. Afterward, the tank was again rinsed and brought in. THEN, we pumped half of the original water up to it added chlorine remover & liquid bacteria to help 'restart' the tank and sent "Molly" in to see if it was okay. After observing her for a couple hours, we added the snails, and again observed for a couple hours. The four tulip anemones were last to go back that evening when we pumped the rest of the water up and added the skilter to it. NO LOSSES!! Everyone survived, the anemones look 'happier'?
So that is where the ammo and nitrite are a little high, and since then we've shown a hint of nitrate, but again, nothing to panic over. It is well on its way to healing.
So that is the life story of the tank. I want to get as much info on these fish so I can have an Idea on how to plan its long term future. Thank you guys for the help!
~CAT~ :^)