Anyone ever think of doing water changes with only ocean water

rzande1

Has anyone ever thought of doing water changes with only ocean water? I mean I was thinking and the ocean has so many other types of bacteria that we cannot possibly substitue in our small tanks that maybe ocean water could provide a more habitable environment for our fish.

darkmoon

Where can you get ocean water? Is not like you just drive to the beach and get it there, is it???? Sorry, I'm totally ignorant on this matter.

darkmoon

Then I guess I should check with my LFS if they mix theirs or if it is actual sea water.... One LFS that closed before I had my tank bought their water from a guy who used to go out middle of the sea (ok, im exaggerating, hehe) and would sell to stores.
Thanks for the info!

sfr292

Actually, it is healthier to get the water off shore somehwere as the closer inland you get the more contaniments are in the water. I did some time at the Long Beach Aqurium in California and thats how they get their water as well. They also taught me that all ocean water isnt equal. The salinty changes a bit from place to place along with the nutrients that are in the water. From what Im told the best is South Florida in the states, the closer to the keys the better.

grabbitt

As someone has mentioned, you should be able to buy ocean water at your LFS. I still use salt and mix it myself, though.. It's less expensive.

rzande1

So for all of your water needs (btw hopefully it isnt by a harbor or oceanfront) please send your requests to coral keeper. Anyone in this forum live in the keys or in florida by the keys? Maybe we can setup our own aquarium water consortium.

sfr292

Originally Posted by Coral Keeper
http:///forum/post/2587658
I get the water from the CA coast myself. I don't buy natural ocean water from the LFS.
The water up where you are is much colder and lower salinty than what it is in the keys, not by much though, if I remember right it's 23 or 24 and the keys is closer to 26. The water over all is cleaner in the central cali verses southern thou.

crush4989

i was just in the keys and the water was great. the temp was 84 -86 and the sal. as 26. I thought that was kinda high but thungs looked good. When i got home i stated to bring my sal up and mu coral looks much better. I went forn 22 to 26 in a mater of a month. my zoo's have almost doubled in size.
Keith

sfr292

Thought I was right at 26, yes it's proven that higher sal. increases color and size to a point, I run my stuff no lower than 26, but try and keep it at 27, everything does great.