anyone every built there own tank?

broncofish

Built several, what are you looking at glass or acrylic? I have only repaired glass tanks never built one, I have built plenty of acrylic, what you seal them with all depends on tank type(acrylic glass or plywood)

i was thinking about going with particle board for the back and 2 sides a piece of glass for the front and the top i have no clue what i plann on doing for a "hood" it is going to be an agressive tank so i don't need lighting.

broncofish

If you are going to doo the wood/glass tank thing I am pretty sure it has to be plywood...I have never done that, but somebody on this site did, let me see if I can find the thread. I just bumped it up so you could look at the plywood glass tank Java built, I'm sure he has more info on here about it.

javatech

Just one thing it will cost a lot more than you plan on. here are some photos. don't use particle board use 3/4 " birch plywood the good stuff with out voids in the ply's. i used cheap 3/4 ply and spent a lot of time filling and sanding. i used a two part epoxy paint and then covered it with a pond liner to protect the paint and 1"foam on the bottom under the pond liner i have over 500 lbs of rock in it for my cichlids and it's 140 gal
http://groups.msn.com/JimsCichlids/p...ankphotos.msnw