Anyone explain why black hair algae growing.

tax lady

Maybe I am feeding too much, but I have never heard of black hair algae. It is just starting to grow in a few spots in my:
24 gallon Aquapod
temp 78-80
ph 8.5
nitrite 0
nitrate 0
ammonia 0
Can't figure how I downloaded the pic before, so no pic, but its just a few fuzzy spots of algae, first looked dark green, now looks black.
Need help on this please. Any info would be appreciated.

tax lady

Doesn't anyone know anything about black hair algae? I have only 2 fish with lr ls corals.
tank testings are with my first post.
Thanks for any help.

posiden

I wish I could help you out. But I am unaware of black hair algae in a marine tank. I don't have time to do a search to try to help you as I am off to bed.
The only black algae I know of is in fresh water.
On the hair algae, if it was green and is now turning a darker color I would say that is a good thing. From what I have seen HA will turn a darker color when it is dieing. But the question remains, What stemmed the growth?
I post my pictures off of photo bucket. I just click on the direct link code for the image. It then automatically copies it, then I past the code in the reply box here and there you go.
Sorry I could not be of any more help. Good Luck.

tax lady

Originally Posted by Posiden http:///forum/post/2985066
Give this a shot. See if this is what you have.
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/346703/weird-black-algea
No, doesn't look like that. Although my ph was low and I have been adding stuff my lfs gave me a little for about a week, it is now o.k. about 8 or 8.5. It is on rocks, just a few patches.
Someone told me how to do a pic on photobucket but when I tried to do the pic with the black algae couldn't get it to paste.
Don't know what I am doing wrong.
I brushed it off last night before water change but then today saw a couple of spots I had not seen before. I will try to get pic.

posiden

Lets see if this works,

Well we know that the other is HA so I won't post it.
Now that they are up, is it possible to get a little better shot of it?

tax lady

sorry, I have a terrible camera. Actually the shot was not so bad until it got zoomed bigger. The one on photobucket site, although smaller, is clearer.
Can you identify it and tell me what to do to clear it up.?
Thanks in advance....

posiden

No I can't ID it for you. Sorry. I and others would need a better pic of it.
If I was to guess at what is going on in your tank. I would say that nutrients are building up. That is why there is the spot of HA as well as the cyano on the front glass.
How to clear it up......we/you need to figure out why there might be nutrients in your tank.

tax lady

P|lease tell me what you mean by Nutrients. Possibly been overfeeding? or what?
Also I tried to find description for Cyano, seems like it is like slime on the glass. Don't know where you see it though. Tell me where on the glass.
Also what can I use to get rid of it and the black algae.
Thanks for all the info. it is appreciated.

tax lady

Just looked up cyano and it is a slime algae. But I have 2 emerald crabs. some hermits, &Turbos. Tank is only 24 gal aquapod. These took care of my other algae problem. What else can I do to get rid of the cyano and black algae?
Any help would be appreciated.

dustyboy316

I have this on the glass too. It's pretty new, I figured it was jsut coralline.
So if it scrapes off easily it probably is cyano?

tax lady

Just checked. It is definitely softer than the coraline and even is different in color. It is more of a dark color than pink.
So what should i do?

dustyboy316

Originally Posted by Tax lady
http:///forum/post/2989381
Just checked. It is definitely softer than the coraline and even is different in color. It is more of a dark color than pink.
So what should i do?
I'm in the same boat as you. I scraped mine off easily with my magna-float, so I'm guessing this is Cyano?
I thought ti was corraline, I was pretty excited.

tax lady

Originally Posted by dustyboy316
http:///forum/post/2989386
I'm in the same boat as you. I scraped mine off easily with my magna-float, so I'm guessing this is Cyano?
I thought ti was corraline, I was pretty excited.
do you have a new tank w/ no coraline?